News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Elegance and Wonder: Shadows of Eternity

Started by Silent Entropy, August 08, 2003, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Entropy

Shadows of Eternity is a game about myths.  It's about creating myths, playing through myths, and even destroying them.  

Narrative Layers
During each game a narrative is constructed.

Each narrative is composed of three layers.  Each layer defines a single facet of the narrative's abstract identity, thus framing the medium upon which narrative play will occur.

The Tapestry of Dreams is the firmament of narrative conceptuality.  The Tapestry represents every possibility (and impossibility) that can shape the course of the narrative.  The Tapestry is the integral holism of unlimited potential within the narrative.

The Ocean of Dust is the manifested reality that defines narrative existence.  Where the Tapestry represents unbounded potential, the Ocean represents actualized extant.  The Ocean is undeniable, absolute truth given form and context within the narrative.

The Blossom of Silk is the individual personification of narrative components.  The Blossom represents the anima inherent to everything extant.  The Blossom is spiritual eternity incarnate within the confines of the narrative.

Mythopoet Looms
Each game (currently) focuses on looms.  Looms are metaphysical entities that possess the ability to manipulate the Tapestry of Dreams.

So far, I've started experimenting with a single type of loom: the Mythopoet.  Simply, Mythopoets are looms greared toward manipulating and understanding the mythical and legendary aspects of the Tapestry.

A Mythopoet is initially defined by its mask(s) and vision(s).

Masks are archetypal roles a Mythopoet portrays in the narrative.  Masks are the basis of a Mythopoet's identity.

Visions are personal ideals a Mythopoet embodies in the narrative.  Visions are the basis of a Mythopoet's personality.

A Mythopoet, being a maker of myths, also has a wide repitore of other tools avalible to (de)construct myths with.  These tools are fabrics, threads, patterns, and weaves.

Mythical Elements
Fabrics are the essence of creation.  Each fabric forms a unique, underlying pillar of extant reality.  Fabrics back everything in existence.  Fabrics are the building blocks of reality.

Threads are individual strands of the Tapestry.  Each thread represents incomprehensible potential.  Each thread can connect the ordinary and abstracted to the Tapestry, thus empowering it and making it mythic.

Patterns are thematic, persistent models that represent a portion of the Ocean.  They are facts about the true nature of reality.  Unfortunately, patterns exist in a state of isolation.  They have no weight on their own.  They must be empowered by mythic threads to manifest true.  Once a pattern is connected to the Tapestry by a thread it becomes fueled by infinite possibilities and begins to affect the Ocean.

Weaves are exactly the same as patterns, except they are transient.  A weave exists for a set duration, although the conditions of its existence may vary greatly depending upon the circumstances.

Initial Conclusion
I'll be posting the mechanics next.  I'd like some feedback before I get to the mechanics so I can make sure everything is perfectly clear.

How comprehensible is this?  Are there any initial questions that spring up just reading this brief introduction?  Is the language simple enough to understand?  Does it seem to evoke a specific feel?  Can anyone point me in the direction of similar games?

DevP

This sounds really cool, but, I have to be honest: the words are almost *too* meta. Your descriptions here are indeed beautiful, but they are take a while to understand, and in an agressive environment it might be hard for people to give it a second chance.

As far as I understand it: the Tapestry represents what is possible, the Ocean is that which is currently happening, and the Blossom is the anima of the story or people. Perhaps I am grossly simplifying, but I would like some clarification.

I'm also curious what other Looms are possible beyond Mythopoets (which seems quite general); but do go on with the mechanics, it may well clarify the rest of this for now.