News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Blank" nations

Started by Nero's Boot, August 16, 2003, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero's Boot

How many "blank" nations are there on the Weyrth map?  How many nations with names but no descriptions?  I have a few ideas for low-magic to no-magic kingdoms, but I'm wanting to know how many kingdoms I have to play with.

--my horse for a kingdom NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Nero's BootHow many "blank" nations are there on the Weyrth map?  How many nations with names but no descriptions?  I have a few ideas for low-magic to no-magic kingdoms, but I'm wanting to know how many kingdoms I have to play with.

--my horse for a kingdom NB

Well, neither Kudara, nor Magyarfold have been detailed by the author... but that shouldn't stop you from doing what you want, wherever you want.  TRoS is, as I read it, a pretty low-magic setting as is.  Something like 1 sorcerer for every 100,000+ persons (I think).  Of course, that's not set in stone either.  You want low-/no-magic, you got it.  Just crank down the number of sorcerers/strange beasts to suit your needs.

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Nero's Boot

Hmmmm.....the website gave the idea that more than one tiny easy-to-miss blip the map, and one distant and tiny easy-to-miss nation would be left undecided......

*sigh*  Why am I not surprised?  False advertising, I guess.

--oh, well NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Nero's BootHmmmm.....the website gave the idea that more than one tiny easy-to-miss blip the map, and one distant and tiny easy-to-miss nation would be left undecided......

*sigh*  Why am I not surprised?  False advertising, I guess.

--oh, well NB

Rather than sighing and taking a shot at the game/designer/whatever, I would suggest taking a look at the Taveruun thread(s).  The first option  will get you nowhere and is neither fair, nor appropriate in this case.  The second option (finding that thread...sorry, not sure how to link to those) will show you that, even when a location/area has been "detailed" by the author and co, there is a ton of room for you to add more detail.  In fact, I believe that to be the expectation of of the game designer (Jake Norwood).

The Taveruun thread is an excellent example of what is possible in a "detailed" setting.

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.

Nero's Boot

The website advertised that I could 'port over nations from other settings, novels, RPGs, etc, as long as they fit the general "feel" of Weyrth.  I.E. I could bring a cool nation like Conan's Stygia into Weyrth, or maybe the Athasian city-state of Draj (albeit without the all-powerful sorcerer-king).  Or maybe I had an evil empire in mind, something of my own design.

I don't mind working within someone else's worlds; quite the contrary.  But when I'm told that the game developer will be leaving nations blank so I can 'port in "whatever culture or nation" I want, I expect a little more than one tiny dot in the west, and a country that probably must be Asian in style (by default of being near other Asian-style nations).

--false advertising NB

Mike Holmes

Dude, check out the entry for Tez'Hamun. That's Stygia.

The comment on blank meant that the info that's there is sparse enough that you can take the extant countries and change them into the countries that you have from other worlds and the whole world hangs together coherently. That is, if you make Tez'Hamun Stygia, it's neighbors, even if you don't change them, will make sense.

In any case, if all you want was part of the map blank, then why not just ignore what the book says for those areas? How does the information included in the book prevent you from using it that way?

The point of the world design, as I understand it, was to give you some framework to work with, but not lock you into having to use it as written (perehaps for fear that your changes would be incompatible with other information released from Driftwood).

So, I'm not seeing the problem.

BTW, people forgot to mention a few more. Theres T'Zaaul, another nation, and Marstanbul, another smaller region, both also left without detailing. There may be more I'm missing.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Nero's Boot

Thank you, sir.  I stand corrected, and I humbly apologize.  :)

--never afraid to admit when I'm wrong NB

Brian Leybourne

There's even a couple more that folk have not mentioned. You wont have any problem finding regions to develop.

And once you do, post 'em here so we can all use them.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Nero's Boot

Cool beans!

--will post some nations once the rulebook is in my possession and the rules have been learned NB

Jake Norwood

There are several territories that are simply blank, too.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Swordmagnet

I expect a little more than one tiny dot in the west, and a country that probably must be Asian in style (by default of being near other Asian-style nations).

--false advertising NB[/quote]

Australia is "near" other Asian style nations and bears no resemblence to them. And Hawaiian culture couldn't be more different from American culture and yet it's an American state. Why couldn't a blank landmass have been settled/conquered by a very different society?

As far as a "dot" on a map goes: draw out the rest of the nation and make it whatever you wan't.
Damn, sword cuts hurt!

Nero's Boot

Cool beans!  Is there already a Babylonian/Sumerian kingdom, because I'm kinda itching to write one up.

--slayer of Tiamat and Apsu NB

Brian Leybourne

Go for your life.

You might want to download the map of Weyrth from the webpage before you start. If you want to pick one of the unnamed countries (or the named ones mentioned here that are not fleshed out in the book) the geography and location of that country might influence some of your decisions. Or not.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Nero's Boot

Cool beans, I really want to fit in a few kingdoms from other settings and time periods; not many, maybe three at most, but the ones I'm wanting to fit in: Conan's Stygia, a Babylon-lookalike, and a fantasy version of the Islamic Caliphate.

--other nations NB

Mike Holmes

Numeria is already a darkish sort of desert Babylon, if you will, complete with ziggurats and chariots. Easily converted if neccessary.

All yer typical "Hyborian" nations are there. In fact, if that's what you're looking to replicate, then you really will have little to do in Wyerth, other than fleshing things out exactly as you like them.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.