News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shuffling - when to do it?

Started by Pilgrim, September 05, 2003, 05:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

From what I've read of the rules, this hasn't been addressed, but I've seen tentative approaches here in the forum.

First, it seems that the decks ought to be shuffled before each session.

Second, if GM or PC runs out of cards in a conflict, the discards are reshuffled and play continues.

So, does that sum up the basic rules on shuffling or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike
Exos integro, sugiliato curatio, y femellas amo cicatrix.

Matt Snyder

There has not yet been the "correct" way to handle this. Certainly, the method you've described works. It's simple, and play continues easily. I believe I'll include this notion as the simplest option for reshuffling in the game.

I prefer something more specific regarding shuffling. A second method could be very simple, yet nicely symbolic. Everyone (including the GM) shuffles his/her Fate deck at the onset of every new conflict scene (note that a conflict scene is "larger" than 1 conflict phase) -- players wouldn't shuffle at the beginning of each new phase in this option). If a player runs out of cards at any point during the scene, he may either continue to play WITHOUT cards (he simply uses his Urge ratings and hopes for the best). OR, the player spends 1 Muse rating point and earns an immediate reshuffle. The player may elect to do this at any time; his deck need not be expired to do so.

This symbolizes Fate. When the player's deck is empty, his fate has run its course. Fortunately, since he's a powerful archon, an agent of the Demiurge, he can manipulate fate by "buying" a new deck. The cost is some of his motivation. Fate takes a slight toll.

I'm working on the third option, as described briefly in an earlier post: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7861
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra