News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

... So you've won a Complication

Started by hix, September 05, 2003, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hix

There's been some real eye-opening discussion for me on the "Covering Your Bases" thread (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7751).

It makes me realise I have one other point to clarify. In our previous session, we had two characters trying to escape from a large country house and every other character in the scene clearly trying to stop them.

The "Stop Them" characters won this Complication. But when it came to narrating how the situation resolved, my interpretation of the rules was that you could only narrate for the Components you controlled.

This meant the "Let's Escape" characters were able to narrate Events in their turn that kept the situation open-ended. Two more Complications between the "Let's Escape" and the "Stop Them" sides followed until we all agreed that the Components in the scene were dead-locked and needed to participate in some in-story negotiation.

In short: the "Stop Them" characters found it difficult to push the story forward after winning the complication.

Having re-read the rules, especially the Big Complication Example starting on page 70, it looks like the winner can narrate for Components she doesn't control. Is this an accurate interpretation? What are the limits? Can she add traits to a component she doesn't control, for instance?

Steve
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

hix

Damn! I ask a question and then find the answer five threads down (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7202).

Valamir wrote:
QuoteTraits can ALWAYS be added to Components you don't control as the result of bonus Coins from a Complication.

I assume that Events affecting Components you don't control are equally permitted. If anyone's got any other insights into my situation, above, they'd be appreciated - otherwise thanks for reading what may be a contender for the shortest thread in Forge history.

Steve.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Bob McNamee

Yes to both of those things...the narration and the addition of Traits to uncontrolled Components.

That is the only time you can add traits to Components that you don't control (although we often allow buying them with the OK of the Controlling Player...I suppose we should Rule Gimmick that in).  THis allow you to add traits such as Wounded, Dazed, etc to the losing side components.

The Losers can also narrate and add Traits to those Components they don't control... using this capability to create a more open ended finish is pretty common. One way to prevent this is to sacrifice some of your winning Coins in order to cancel off Coins of the losers (p 62 #8, p69 #2)
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!