News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Simple question about Evasive Attack

Started by chade0, October 12, 2003, 02:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chade0

Hello,

Is evasive attack used only when too fighters attack each other at the same time?
Or can you increase your opponent's attack TN for the next exchange with this maneuver?

chade

P.S. I absolutely LOVE this game! The best combat system I've ever seen.

Salamander

Hey chade,

I personally can only think of three places to use an evasive attack, one is if you think he is going to attack you simultaneously, the second if you think he is going to counter and the third is if you think your oponnent is going to feint. Of course this is all based upon what you THINK the other guy is gonna do...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

chade0

So what you are saying is that Evasive Attack affects the following exchange too. IE it does increase your opponents attack TN for the next exchange? Otherwise, it could be used only in situations where both fighters attack at the same time..

Salamander

Quote from: chade0So what you are saying is that Evasive Attack affects the following exchange too. IE it does increase your opponents attack TN for the next exchange? Otherwise, it could be used only in situations where both fighters attack at the same time..

Evasive attack should only increase the TNs for the exchange in which you use it. For each die you put to the Evasive Attack, you add two to his TN if I recall. It is a good one for those times when you want to switch it up with a more aggressive opponent. I have found it to be little used in my campaign by the guys with lower CPs but when they get up there it will be a good way to describe Absetszen (Absenting or just not being where the other guys sword will be) & Kreig (Over running).
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: chade0So what you are saying is that Evasive Attack affects the following exchange too. IE it does increase your opponents attack TN for the next exchange? Otherwise, it could be used only in situations where both fighters attack at the same time..

Wrong then right. Think of Evasive Attack as swinging your weapon as your opponent at the same time as leaping backwards or ducking. You make the attack harder on yourself (+1CP cost per 2 evasive dice) but if your opponent attacks you at the same time, you're very hard to hit because of all your silly knees bent running about advancing behaviour (+1CP cost per die).

If he's not swinging at you at that exact moment, there's no penalty to him, thus Evasive Attack only works when both parties are attacking at the same time. No effect the following exchange or round.

Having said that, there's no reason you can't make an evasive attack (or a sim block/strike for that matter) when you have initiative and your opponent doesn't. It just wont have any effect on him unless he decides to say "bugger initiative" and attack you that exchange anyway.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion