News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Adrenaline

Started by Rico, October 13, 2003, 12:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

You hear stories now and then, about amazing things people do when they are hiped up on Adrenaline. I don't know if there are already rules for this for TROS but it would make an intresting twist in combat. Suggestions, opinions, critiques, anything?

Salamander

Quote from: RicoYou hear stories now and then, about amazing things people do when they are hiped up on Adrenaline. I don't know if there are already rules for this for TROS but it would make an intresting twist in combat. Suggestions, opinions, critiques, anything?

Enter the SA...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Actually what most often happens when the adrenaline hits is the following:

People either fight or flight or freeze (the FFF response.)
See when all those stress reactions hit your body you lose fine motor skills, you get tunnel vision, tunnel hearing, you are unable to think clearly, all this and much more happen.
This is due to adrenaline and all the other stuff that your glands produce, also due to blood accumulationg in larger muscle groups etcetc.

I have yet to see a RPG combat system that simulates this. See the FFF affects also experienced fighters they have just learned to adapt to it and can use it to their advantage.

spunky

Quote from: VilleActually what most often happens when the adrenaline hits is the following:

See when all those stress reactions hit your body you lose fine motor skills, you get tunnel vision, tunnel hearing, you are unable to think clearly, all this and much more happen.
This is due to adrenaline and all the other stuff that your glands produce, also due to blood accumulationg in larger muscle groups etcetc.

I have yet to see a RPG combat system that simulates this. See the FFF affects also experienced fighters they have just learned to adapt to it and can use it to their advantage.

UNFORGIVEN did a great job with this.  It wasn't that Eastwood's character was a better shot, or faster than the other gunslingers.  He was such an experienced veteran that he didn't flinch or fire wildly.  Veterans perform consistently under fire, newbies don't.

CYPERPUNK (1st Ed.) dealt with this by requiring Cool roles for characters who weren't combat vets.  INQUISITOR deals with this by making characters who are fired upon make Will roles or dive for the nearest cover (characters with the Nerves of Steel trait are exempt).  And TROS partially addresses this by making the REFLEX score an average of both Agility and Wits.  Agility measure the body's ability, Wits measures the Mind's ability to direct the body under pressure.
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

Ace

Quote from: VilleActually what most often happens when the adrenaline hits is the following:

GURPS has a rule on this as well in high tech and compendium 2 called Buck Fever -- it works alright but is slow