News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Amazon Ninja Space-Pirate Catgirls: The SPANCing

Started by Fade Manley, October 21, 2003, 10:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fade Manley

That is, I decided to change the title to Space-Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls. After almost every person who I discussed the game with sugggested that acronym.

Yes. SPANC.

So...erm. I suppose compared to games like kill puppies for satan it's a bit much to ask if a name like that is tasteless, but...is it? On the one hand, it's supposed to be a fast, silly, tongue-in-cheek sort of game, and it's not like the title isn't already silly. But I do wonder if I'm giving the wrong impression; for all that pirates may abduct cute spacemen during ship raids and the like, I'm trying to steer away a bit from the cheesecake side of things. Cute catgirls, not overboobed catgirls with impossibly thin waists wearing little clothing and striking anatomically improbable poses. I mean, I want "fluffy", not Avalanche covers.

So, is this title going to give the wrong sort of impression? Amusing, easy to pronounce, and not too serious is good: sounding sleazy is not. I've been hearing the name suggested for too long to look at it from a fresh perspective by this point, and I could use some advice from people who haven't.

Jack Spencer Jr

Were I you Heather, I would go with your original title and the fans will use the acronym with no help whatsoever from you.

Trust me.

Ron Edwards

Hi Heather,

The question is whether you like the new title better than the old title. When you get into the issue of "what will they think," it's just a path to madness. Take it from me: if someone wants to hate the title, they will. ("Sorcerer"? Hated it. Loathed it. Stupid, trite, obvious rip-off, not clear what the game's about, etc, etc. I'm not kidding.)

Best,
Ron

Drakath

Quote from: Heather ManleyBut I do wonder if I'm giving the wrong impression

Um.  Isn't this the game idea that went from lesbians to Amazons?  I thought that impression was the whole point (well 2/5ths anyway from Amazon and Catgirl).

SPANC sounds cute to me.  Makes me think of anime.

Daniel Solis

I'm  with Jack and Ron here. You should name the game whatever you feel best suits the moods, themes and playstyles you want to encourage. The players need no help coming up with their own acronyms and colloquial usage. :)
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

Fade Manley

Quote from: Drakath
Quote from: Heather ManleyBut I do wonder if I'm giving the wrong impression

Um.  Isn't this the game idea that went from lesbians to Amazons?  I thought that impression was the whole point (well 2/5ths anyway from Amazon and Catgirl).

SPANC sounds cute to me.  Makes me think of anime.

Heh. Okay, so it did go from lesbians to amazons. So perhaps it's not that far removed...

And, point taken: I can't try not to offend everyone, because I certainly can't make everyone happy, no matter what I do. There are people who will dislike something on principle alone just because someone else does like it, after all...

The name has been growing on me since people started suggesting it, so I think I'll leave it be. Space-Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls it is! And it's much easier to remember SPANC than ANSPC, anyway.

anonymouse

Honestly, I think it can't do anything but good for the game. It sets an irreverent tone, and it's fun to say, not to mention easy to remember.

So, yeah. Go with SPANC.
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>