News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How did you discover The Forge?

Started by Paul Czege, November 02, 2001, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Time

I'd checked out the site before and thought it was intersting, but never stuck around.  Then I got hooked after I met Ron at Gen Con this year and bought Sorcerer.  

Now I'm in here every day reading posts and occasionally adding my two cents worth.

Joe Murphy (Broin)

I can't quite remember how I bumped into the site. I *think* it was through memento-mori. That's likely.

And gosh, it's good. You people are fantastic. =)

Joe.

razgon

I found the place through a local gaming club's links :smile:
/Flemming Madsen
VP Lidium
//www.lidiumonline.com

Bankuei

I was on GO, when I had took a hiatus for about a month, came back and it was the "Ghost Outpost"...I was wondering where all the people who talked about better things than "and one time, at Gen Con...(bandcamp, whatever)" and their mighty Drow Necromancers  and all those things that make me wish to activate the Double Postal Gene and cleanse the earth with fire(The Biblical Cleanser tm, now in pine scent!)....

Following links and such, I found myself in a higher realm...where I watch and occasionally say stupid things :razz:

Bankuei

GMSkarka

I knew of the site, through lunch with Ron at last year's GAMA, picking up Sorcerer at this past GenCon, and references on memento-mori.com.

I had forgotten about it, though, until Mads Jakobsen came over to RPGnet last week and tried to bring his argument with Ron and The Forge over there.

So, here I am.   Glad to be here.

Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
gms@adamantentertainment.com

joshua neff

Glad to have you here, GM. Even if it does mean there are now three Gareth's posting here.

[ This Message was edited by: joshua neff on 2001-12-09 17:37 ]
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jack Spencer Jr

I really don't remember how I found this thing.  

Sincerely.  Not a clue.

I know I vistsited it when it was Hephaesus' Forge a year or two ago a couple times, but I have no idea what it was.  I think I mistook it for a publisher or something and didn't really check it out.

Then I somehow found it again, before it became The Forge and have been making a pest of myself ever since.  I think either someone else told me about it, possibly Paul, so blame him.  Or I found it trying to find Ron's essays and the like.  So blame him.

xiombarg

To join the chorus: Blame Jared. IIRC, I clicked over here from his web site, or else he referenced it on the Gaming Outpost.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Ranko

One day (during the Golden Age of GO) I was browsing the web and decided to see if there were any links with Hephaestus in the title (forge being a logical add on) and found this. Joined, and there was little activity. So I come back almost a year latter to see that new members are running to the site, and that I can't log in because I forgot my username and password (P. S. who do I contact to erase The Account Formerly known as 'R'? )

Nothing to do with remembering that I too will die.

Ranko

Julian Kelsey

I found it while using google to search for free RPG rule sets on the web. Certainly glad I did.

Cheers, Julian.

James V. West

I think it was Moose.

I had a really bad year in 2000, quit doing small press comics, and then, sometime this year, discovered online forums for rpgs like rpgnet. That awakened the long-dormant rpg-design bug that slept inside me.

I started posting at rpgnet, hooked up with Moose after reading about WYRD, then I think he pointed me to Ron's essays or something. I can't remember exactly.

Right after I posted the original rules for The Pool I started visiting this site more and more. So far, I've found no better site for this kind of thing.

James V. West
http://www.geocities.com/randomordercreations/index.html

J B Bell

Maybe this is a first, but I actually found this place via an ad in Sorcerer.

And a wonderful place it is.  I want to write a long review on Sorcerer, and an article on how Ron's article on GNS changed my gaming life, but first I gotta get proof by getting in some Actual Play.  Then I'll also throw in a nice Topic of "why gaming is like sex" (in brief, lots of people put up with the bad sort of either because they don't communicate; they think that it's supposed to "just happen"; and the advertising is not very helpful).

Nice to listen to you all, and thank you, Guruji Ron, for opening my eyes about some very critical stuff.

--TQuid

"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Philippe Tromeur

I often visited Hephaestus Forge in the past, mostly to learn about free RPG's on the web.
I came here after Ron told me he was reviewing my Wuthering Heights Game, I had a look at the new sites, which looked cool, that's why I've registered as a proud user.

Blake Hutchins

I migrated here after the Gaming Outpost forums went to subscription-only.  The Forge has been far more productive, in my opinion.  Kudos to Clinton and Ron (and anyone I'm leaving out due to ignorance).

Best,

Blake

Skippy

Moose.  The rat bastard.

I'm spending more time here recently, now that I have a serious focus again.  I have to admit that my initial impressions back in May/June were that the folks over here had a very condescending attitude toward traditional gamers.  I have a problem with that kind of thing.  

I find now that I may have been mistaken, or overly sensitive.  I have never been a "traditional" gamer anyway.  It has taken me a long time to accept that I am a narrativist.  I have enjoyed the game systems I have played, but I recognize that they are not designed for my needs.  I have always had fun playing them, but I can be freer with fewer restrictions.

So I expect that I will post more here than I ever did at RPG.net, since the discussions tend to be much more germaine and interesting.

Skippy

"If I could orally gratify myself, you'd have to roll me to work."