News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How did you discover The Forge?

Started by Paul Czege, November 02, 2001, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Czege

Hey everyone,

There've been a lot of new people here the past couple of months, and I'm getting really curious how people are discovering the site. How did you discover The Forge?

Was it a link from another site? What site? Was it a web search? What were you searching on? Word of mouth? The flyer at GenCon?

Personally, it was an announcement about the site that Clinton posted to Gaming Outpost that brought me here.

What about you?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

joshua neff

Blame Jared.

I was pretty bummed about the GO switch & had resigned myself to posting only on RPGnet. And then I was bopping around Memento-Mori & saw that Jared had a new forum. I clicked on it, & low & behold, there was a whole slew of fora on the Forge!
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

JGCook

Well, I'm not particularly new (13th registered- which is particularly interesting because I was born on the 13th(a friday), discovered RPGs when I was 13(though I had invented them before that), and find the number 13 generally popping up in my life at least as much as 5 and 42) nor do I post a lot (preferring to lurk until I get an actual game group up and going and maybe a site with some of my designs on it). But here goes anyway...

In my case, like Josh's, you can probably blame Jared. I was first here way back when it was Hephasteus' Forge and had no dash (I think?). I was introduced to the Forge probably by Memento-Mori, though it might've been Gargoyle13. Not really sure. Anyway, when that site became defunct I started following GO to keep up on all the cool discussions. After the GO change, either Jared's or Clinton's sites brought me to the new Forge.

So here I sit, waiting quietly in the background, reading and waiting, occasionally making meaningless little nothing posts full of annoyingly long sentences (and surreal asides), biding my time and preparing myself for the day when *ABRUPTLY CEASE TRANSMISSION*
-Jonathan G. Cook
I saw all the works that were done under the sun, and look! everything was vanity and a striving after the wind. -Ecclesiastes 1:14

Gordon C. Landis

Through GO, I'm pretty sure.  I've never been certain if I was an "early" or a "middle" member of the Forge - it seemed like there were a LOT of meaty threads here before I joined, so I never considered myself "early".

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Matt Gwinn

Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

lumpley

I think I did a Lycos search for "free roleplaying games."

-lumpley Vincent

hardcoremoose

It's Jared's fault.  After hooking up with Jared to write NightWatch, which started over at RPGnet, I began checking out the forums at his site.  Suddenly one day his forum was hosted by The Forge, and well...that's the story.

Bret

About.Com brought me here, though I had been here in the past due to the directions of Mr. Sorensen.

Peace,
Bret

Laurel

Through a link on RPG.Net, and I found RPG.Net because a conversation started about Little Fears on WW's Exalted forum.

Jared A. Sorensen

Holy schmoly...do I get residuals or something? :wink:
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

Residuals? Nah...

But you might try hitting Ron & Clinton up for a "referral fee". ("Sign a friend up to the Forge & get $50!")
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

greyorm

I was introduced to the Forge by Ron, back when it was still "Hephaestus' Forge"; actually, before it had even gone active and anyone other than EP Healy and Ron knew about it.

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

unodiablo

Ron made me do it.

I sez "I don't have time to look at two gaming sites (GO and The Forge)." Ron Sez "Check out the Forge, it's been updated and it's going to be 'the place'".

So I left GO and came over here, and look what happens to GO... Let that be a lesson to you all! What that lesson is, I'm not sure... :smile:

Sean
http://www.geocities.com/unodiablobrew/
Home of 2 Page Action Movie RPG & the freeware version of Dead Meat: Ultima Carneficina Dello Zombi!

mahoux

A friend of mine-Sean Demory or sdemory on the forge, kicked me onto it for discussions originally on the memento mori stuff (there's a cheap pop for you Mr. Sorenson).  Fro mthere I have been hooked at work and at home.

I like the site so much more than GO or RPG.net, but that's mainly because the discussion is easier to navigate around.  It's also because the posts are a lot more informed than rpg.net.  People here tend to take things a little more seriously.
Taking the & out of AD&D

http://home.earthlink.net/~knahoux/KOTR_2.html">Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail has hit the rails!

Mike Holmes

I followed Ron over from GO like a trained seal.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.