News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The ending

Started by Ben Dobyns, October 26, 2003, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Dobyns

First, a disclaimer: I edited "The Gamers", so I'm working from some degree of insider knowledge.

Regarding the ending as discussed by Michael S. Miller in the post immediately preceding, I think that there is a world of difference between intention and effect for that particular plot device.  As far as I know from my discussions with Matt Vancil, the writer/director of the film, there wasn't much intention in the ending beyond going for a laugh.  However, inadvertent or not, I think that there is quite a lot going on beneath the surface in the film.  Does the ending serve as a critique of everything related to gaming?  While there is a fair degree of acerbic commentary on how "not" to play the game throughout the film (as pointed out in Monte Cook's commentary), the overall intention was fairly good-natured.  If you've listened to the psychological commentary on the DVD, I put forward a fairly tongue-in-cheek analysis of the end, calling it an aborted integration of an individual psyche, with The Princess/Paula playing the super-ego, or societal programming.  On a fairer level, if anything the end is a warning about maintaining balance between the self as seen by others and the fantasy version of the self that's kept within.  In other words, we all see ourselves as heroes, but we also have to keep some grip on reality.  In that regard, the message is universal, rather than operating as a cautionary parable about the dangers of role-playing.  Whether or not the film condemns gaming or supports it, though, may be a matter for individual interpretation.

I will toss out that the sequel (currently in development) is all about feeding one's passion for storytelling, which may end up being a much clearer and more persuasive argument for why gaming is so special.  In other words, if "The Gamers" is about how people abuse the rules, Gamers: 2nd Edition is all about what it takes to tell a fantastic story, both in the gaming world and in reality.  (Yes the italics mean that the sequel is going to be a feature film.)[/i]

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I've split Ben's post from "The Gamers" as actual play. A new thread started by Jack Spenser is now in action as well.

Discuss!

Best,
Ron