News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

use of blindfolds/sound in rpgs

Started by poppocabba, May 09, 2001, 01:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppocabba

I am interested if anyone has ever used blind folds in their games, and also of hearing about any experiences with gaming foley artistry.
I am really out to create a pure sort of experience based on the largest, and most successful story telling medium of all time..old time radio

on a vaguely related note I was thinking today about how sick I am of people complaining about  "violence in the media", and thought that during the golden age of rpg popularity there was comparitively little violence. so contrary to what most people would like to think it would appear to be clear that actually engaging peoples imaginations could  be the best way to reduce violence. and the absurdity of pundits then require rpg classes in school

DonQuixote

I haven't actually tried it, but years ago, Hogshead Publishing (WFRP and soon Nobilis) put out a magazine called "Interactive Fantasy:The Journal of role-playing and story-making systems".  Really neat book- only got to issue #4 before if was cancelled, and even that was half a year late.  

In #3, though, James Wallis had an essay called "Through a Mask, Darkly" in which he went into this a bit, and reccomended a book that deals (partially) with the subject of blindfolds as they relate to improvisational theatre workshops.  The book is "Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre" by Keith Johnstone- I picked it up, and it's really pretty damn good.  A similar idea was put forth involving masks as RPG devices- making (and wearing) a mask for your character- I seem to remember a discussion of this sort over on the GD forum of rpg.net a few months ago...

I'd say check Amazon.com for books about radioplays (sound effects or production), and try to come up with some sort of game system that players can use while blindfolded (my guess is either tactile or sound based).  

Any ideas?  

--justin

Jared A. Sorensen

I've used blindfolds for rolepl--

Oh wait, nevermind. :wink:

- Jared "eesh."
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

this is so offtopic, but i think really funny:

my brother was in new york city, hanging out w/ our stepbrother & his wife...my brother mentioned that i was into roleplaying, & my stepbrother's wife asked, "you mean like 'the nun & the naughty priest'?"..."no no," my brother said, "like 'dungeons & dragons'"...
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

poppocabba

I have some players I would mind distributing red rubber mouth balls to as well. mostly I don't think swingers would make good roleplayers

Ben Morgan

A friend of mine had an idea to get one of those fancy folding changing-screen thingys and stick it in the corner of the room.

Then, when running Legend of the Five Rings, anyone who wanted to relay some information in private, instead of passing a note or dragging the GM into another room, they would go behind the screen.

The idea was to reinforce the concept that in Rokugani (and in turn, Japanese) culture, as far as you were concerned, thin rice-paper walls were soundproof, no matter what your ears actually told you, and it was an extreme breach of etiquette to behave any differently.

It'as a nice idea in theory, I have no idea if it would work in practice, because no one ever got around to buying the screen. Even if we did, the GM's dog would probably just destroy it.

-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Mytholder

I once heard a possibly apocryphal story about a Wraith game. It was played in a creepy Scottish castle. At night. On Halloween. The six players walked in and sat down in big oak chairs, all on one side of the table. The chairs were so big, you couldn't look behind you without leaning out of the chair. The GM sat on the other side, facing them. The game started...

...and after a few minutes, one of the players heard a throaty whisper from behind him. Another six players had entered the room without warning, and were seated behind the first six, playing their shadows....