News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Reincorporation

Started by GreatWolf, November 13, 2003, 01:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

When I read this article in the Daedalus ezine, I thought of Universalis.  The article is quite helpful in general, but I particularly appreciated his discussion of reincorporation.  But it was when I read the following quote that I realized a hidden genius of Universalis.

QuoteRe-incorporation is not just a technique for game masters. In a game where players can introduce elements into the game world (and most do, even in a limited fashion), it's usually easier to get a re-incorporated element accepted than a newly invented one.

In Uni, not only is a reincorporated element more likely to avoid being Challenged, but it is actually cheaper to do.  Introducing an existing Component into a Scene costs only 1 Coin.  Creating a new Component is much more expensive.

Another plus for Universalis!

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

pete_darby

well,  I think it's because universalis and impro's storytelling section approach the same subject (creating stories in "real-time"), from a practical, rather than theoretical point of view.

i see the two works as entirely complimentary (i know i got the wrong one there...); impro for the big picture, universalis for the mechanics, reward system, etc.
Pete Darby