News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

ANOTHER sorcery variation!

Started by Stephen, November 26, 2003, 09:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Here's a thought.

I was never particularly fond, myself, of the "Target" variable in spell CTNs.  Its primary purpose from a game standpoint seems to be to ensure that any spell which directly affects a person cannot, by definition, be cast fast enough to use in melee combat, and to force spellcasters to rely on embedding spells for emergency-flash magic.  The idea of living and sentient creatures being innately harder to affect by magic already seems to me to be covered by the ideas of Resistance Rolls.

So here's a thought which not only allows powerfreaks like me to stay happy but makes sure fast-cast spells remain dangerous:  instead of including a "Target" variable for CTNs, leave it out entirely, but add the option of a "Fastcast" for all types of spell:  One, Three and Many.  This adds a flat +3 to the spell's CTN for success and anti-aging, while reducing the casting time as follows:

Spells of One can now be cast in one second, regardless of CTN -- fast enough to use as an attack or defense in combat.

Spells of Three are cast as fast as a Spell of One normally is -- (CTN) seconds, instead of (CTN x 10) seconds.

Spells of Many can be cast as fast as a Spell of Three:  (CTN) seconds instead of (CTN) hours.

Reactions?
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

toli

I think it is an interesting idea and a reasonable mechanic but not one that I would use.  I think the CTN also incorporates the difficulty of controling all aspects of the spell, not just some aspect of human resistence.  Spells of One are also the "shortcut for combat" spells in my opinion.  But that is really a personal preference for magic.  I magic to be a bit slower etc....NT
NT

ZazielsRephaim

Personaly I would not allow "Fast magic" spells of many.  Those spells are meant to be massive rituals.  but YMMV.

kenjib

Aren't resistance rolls only for other sorcerers?
Kenji

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Stephen

Not always.  There are some spells (the Smite or Disintegrate spells, and Conquers of 2 or below) which allow targets to resist with a WP or EN roll against the CTN; if they get more successes than the caster they nullify the effect.  (I seem to recall this, anyway; I don't have the book handy, so checking is probably a good idea.)
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

GaGrin

I hope something like this hasn't been mentioned before, but this seemed a good place to put this suggestion.

I (after watching 'The Two Towers') have decided that while I love the magic rules, they do not allow for the speed and control I would expect from the truely powerful.   When I say powerful, I mean those whose lives have been completly absorbed by magic, the Gandalfs and Sarumans of whatever fantasy realm you may be using.

The basic idea is as follows:
A player may decide to accelerate a spell by spending extra SP.  This has two effects, firstly it lowers the cast time and secondly, it increases the CTN.

Currently I have it as 1SP die, gives -1 sec cast time and +1 CTN
(So a CTN 6 spell of one can be cast in 1 sec for a cost of 5 SP.  The new CTN of the spell is 11)

What do you think?  I thought of this just now and haven't had chance to test it yet, so any and all feedback is welcome.
"I think we have a lot in common.  I know I do."
"If you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."
"Bugger, missed!"

StahlMeister

It's a bit like buying Initiative in Melee Combat. But the Fey Elf in our gaming group ask me to become a little faster invisible, cause his chances in open combat against the orcs he recently met did not amuse him.
I think I offer him this as a new rule, so he (and some other NPCs) will be happy.
"Der beisst nicht, er will nur spielen...",
Herald von Faust, stahlnish Beastmaster