News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Social Contract Fodder

Started by xiombarg, December 05, 2003, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiombarg

As we all know, problems with the social contract of the game are often part-and-parcel with overall social problems. Which is why I found this essay particularly interesting:

http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

I can think of at least one instance for each of those fallacies of a game I was in disintegrating because of it. I'm curious what other people think...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

C. Edwards

I think that GSF1 is the keystone to all healthy social interaction. Learning a variety of ostracization techniques is integral to a happy life and will likely solve all the other social fallacies that are listed.

Some people may call you "mean" or a "hardass". Don't listen to them, they're just jealous. :)

-Chris

jdagna

Heh... I guess YFYP has been serving me well for years.  I think I'd probably rename it to WHP ("What's his problem?!").

I've definitely seen most of these at work in one group or another.  Generally, my preference is to avoid groups or people who exhibit those problems.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

I'm right there with Michael Suileabhain-Wilson (yeesh, what a mouthful). Check out Social Context and the very old Playing in the band.

Best,
Ron

Christopher Kubasik

Very interesting.

I noticed, though, that many of the behaviours I can observe in non-gamer/non-geek friends as well.  The difference seems to be a round the wagons reinforcement in the self-isolating social group of geekdom, which tends to make what is a bad habit in some, a way of life for others.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield