News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Active Exploits] Scene-framing and resource-management

Started by DevP, December 11, 2003, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevP

This post is mainly to ask for recommendations about modifying this system, but it may prove some greater value. To quickly summarize the system (while leaving out Extraneous System Detail):

QuoteActive Exploits is diceless; statistics are fairly course (usually no more than three levels; characters exert "effort" to do better at tasks; the only limits to how much is exerted is (a) pools of effort only refresh in between "rounds", and (b) over-exertion (but it only comes into play) will result in fatigue. Actions break down into "rounds" primarily for combat situations (or analagous situations where initiative/timing is important). This slow-motion is called "Focus".

It is seen that "holding back your effort" gives some resource-management/uncertainty to resolution, which can be interesting. However, the limits come into play only in terms of "the maximum effort you can put in this round". While combat has several discrete rounds, it seems commonsensical that individual actions otherwise taking up their own round, or otherwise don't take place in this "slow motion" mode. Some GMs wanted players to vary their degrees of exertion, but roleplaying reasons alone would not do so.

Then seizing upon my new-favorite technique - aggressive scene framing! - and saw an (obvious?) answer: make EVERYTHING a Focus situation (just without formal Initiative in most cases). Specifically and consciously play each "scene" as its own "round", where effort spent is not refreshed until the next scene cut. Of course, the "cut" be a scene-change, a cut-away, a simple shift of "camera focus", or a sudden dip into a monologue before going back to the action.

In part, the GM will react to the players' desire for fairness (i.e. not-too-long scenes), and this will help keep a GM from letting this lag too much (as I sometimes do). Moreover, this might not encourage varying their effort, but moreover could help them get to the real point: understanding the role of this increased effort in the stylized context of the scene, and playing it appropriately.

I think this can be a powerful boon to play, and look forward to trying it out.