News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Pagoda Armor and other questions

Started by halohand, December 18, 2003, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halohand

Just some questions concerning Pagoda.  My group and I plan on testing it out this weekend but started wondering about certain elements of the game.

1. On the Character Sheet it lists Degree under the Flaws section. I'm not sure what this is for.  

2. How is armor handled?  I've thought about just adding additional dice to the defence rolls but that sounds too much like the catch all D&D AC(which makes me cringe).  Also I've thought about using scores to stand for Damage Reduction, but that did not quite feel right for the game.  So What I've thought about doing is having a score equal an amount of dice to roll(doubles = -1 dmg, Triples = -2, etc.), but since this game isn't my design I wanted to get Jeph's opinion.

Jeph

Hi there! Glad you're interested in the game. Let's see if I can answer your questions...

1) "Degree" refers to which specific Element, Aspect, or Path the Flaw is tied to. This is useful when determining what rolls can gain the benefit of Virtue from Fault.

2) Armor, like weaponry, is assumed to be completely stylistic and has no effect on gameplay. Super special magic armor can add up to 3 dice to defense rolls, just as super special magic weapons can add up to 3 dice to attacks, parries, disarms, etc. If you wish, you could make a character with a Path that relates to the use of armor. If you did that, you could then use that path to defend against attacks, and--idunno, do other cool armory stuff, I guess. :^)

I hope you have fun, and I'm always open for questioning!
--Jeff
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

halohand

Yeah I realized what Degree about ten minutes before I read your post.  Thanks for the quick reply.  

That also makes since about the armor.  I don't want this to turn into another dungeon crawl game.  I've stressed to my players that I want this to be high ROLLplaying, not ROLEplaying.  They will have to keep me in line as well.  

I'll let you know our results of the game-play in the on Monday.  Thanks for the creation of Pagoda.  The group and I seam to really be inspired by it.  

James