News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I still don't quite get it.

Started by Palaskar, December 29, 2003, 06:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palaskar

Ok, I've read this thing twice, but I'm still unclear on a couple points. Could someone:

--Explain what the difference between "System" at the Exploration level and "System" at the Technique level is?

Right now I have it set up like this in my mind:
System:Character, Setting, Story + Color (Wild Points)

That is, System generates and governs character, setting, story and color.

--Give concrete example of agreements in the Social Contract?

So far I have:

First: Do not screw over the others.
Where do we play?
How long do we play?
What sort of behavior is expected of us?
What do we do about people who don't show up?

Then I have individual roles for people under the SC:

Below are described several social roles that can be assigned in the game. Often, these roles will overlap. For example, a typical game will have a Game Master that comprises Action Master, Setting Master, Story Master and Player with Players that comprise Character Master and Player.

The Host provides the location for the game. The Caterer provides food and drink.

The Action Master resolves PC actions. The Character Master handles character generation and change, including experience. The Setting Master manages the setting. The Story Master controls the plot of the story.

The Player controls one or more characters.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I split this from The big model - this is it mainly to save my own sanity.

OK! Easy questions, really.

Quote--Explain what the difference between "System" at the Exploration level and "System" at the Technique level is?

Right now I have it set up like this in my mind:
System:Character, Setting, Story + Color (Wild Points)

That is, System generates and governs character, setting, story and color.

Uh, no. I'll start with the basics as I see them. First, there is no "System at the Technique level." Or rather, a whole bunch of techniques, utilized over time in various combinations, comprise System.

Think of System as a taxonomic classification like "mammal." Well, you can have a basket of kittens, giraffes, and bats, and then over here you can have a basket of moles, voles, and mandrills. Each basket would be "System" for a given game.

Second, I think of System as kind of a set of creative reproductive organs which generate new Situations out of old Situations. You could think about this as combat-round by combat-round, scene-by-scene, or session-by-session depending on what techniques we're talking about (to-hit, e.g., contrasted with an attribute-improvement process).

Sometimes I say that System introduces time into the shared imaginative space, in that when you use System-stuff (sets of techniques), you end up with events in that space. That struck me as profoundly accurate when I said it the first time to Ralph Mazza (Valamir), but he just looked at me with that ox-like bafflement that he uses when he doesn't want to say that I am simply barking like a dog again.

QuoteGive concrete example of agreements in the Social Contract?

Everything you wrote seems picture-perfect to me. I don't see any problems with your understanding of Social Contract.

... except maybe, just in case, I should emphasize that many aspects of Social Contract are carried out at a level that primate social-behavior researchers would classify better than any psychologist would. In other words, Social Contract isn't about explicit agreements so much as the local development of social dynamics.

"We just won't ever mention that Bill has the hots for Jenny." That sort of thing. I figure you understood that, but I thought I'd make it clear for everyone, to be sure.

Best,
Ron