News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

9 Worlds Questions

Started by Brand_Robins, January 13, 2004, 03:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand_Robins

While going on to a friend about how cool Dust Devils was, I got pointed to 9 Worlds as an even better game. I downloaded the playtest and am loving it. I hope to run a playtest game very soon (as soon as my Thugs and Theives playtest is done), but I have a few quesitons I need help with.

I'm sorry if these quesitons/issues have already been dealt with. I've gone over the threads and not seen any answers, so I decided to post.

I'm not getting what is going on in some of the examples of locking stats. For example, in the second example on page 19, what is the thought process behind describing a lock on hubris as being unconciousness? I mean, what mechanical effect does it have. I know it means his Hubris can't be changed until it is broken, but is that it? Or is it that he uses it at a reduced level until it is broken (which doesn't seem to follow with the rules -- unless it was reduced then locked)? Or is it just to show that until he overcomes the current situation he can't boot his Hubris?

Also, in several of the examples the characters boost each other's stats, but then the conflict ends. In the Metamorphosis section on page 20, for example, Lydia seems really happy about her big Arete boost -- but it really has no effect upon the game. Is this just an example of PCs gearing up in case there is a next round, or should there be some effect from having a stat boosted in the round it is boosted?

(Actually, that question is more than just a "how is it done" it could be a "would this work better" -- as boosting your own and other PC stats is only useful in multiple round conflicts as it stands. You can't help out another PC with a boost in the same round, so if you think the conflict is over at the end of the current phase there isn't any reason to do it.)

On page 22, in the first example, why does Alexander lock his Hubris if it's his Arete that's been raised?  

Do burned Muses return to normal at the end of the scene, as other stats do? (Or is this something that is obsolete with the new Muse rules?)

Finally, a few random nit points:

On page 16 the example of the GM's total is wrong – the beast has a total of 1 (ace) + 4 (4) + 9 (9) + 10 (Queen) + 0 (Joker) for a total of 24.

On page 17 in the second bullet under Tricks the "some other any opponent" should be changed to something like "any other opponent" or "some other opponent"

Page 18, example "a plan" not "an plan"
- Brand Robins

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Brand_RobinsI'm sorry if these quesitons/issues have already been dealt with. I've gone over the threads and not seen any answers, so I decided to post.

No problem. I appreciate you doing this. As I explained in my recent post to Matt Wilson, I've let my own bad habit get the best (worst?) of me here. I try to always check this forum, but I usually only glace to see if there are any colored icons representing new posts. In logging in and out frequently (I use computers at work and home), I must have totally missed your comments earlier. Sorry for the oversight; it was not intentional!

QuoteI'm not getting what is going on in some of the examples of locking stats. For example, in the second example on page 19, what is the thought process behind describing a lock on hubris as being unconciousness? I mean, what mechanical effect does it have. I know it means his Hubris can't be changed until it is broken, but is that it? Or is it that he uses it at a reduced level until it is broken (which doesn't seem to follow with the rules -- unless it was reduced then locked)? Or is it just to show that until he overcomes the current situation he can't boot his Hubris?

Yes, that's it. The ONLY game effect from this scene is that Alexander's Hubris cannot be altered, unless the lock is dealth with first. His Hubris cannot be increased or decreased until the lock is somehow removed.

He uses his Hubris (and he can do so any time he likes) at the rating at which it was locked. So, if your character's Hubris is 6, and it gets locked in place, then you can still use your Hubris at 6 -- no more, no less.

He cannot boost his Hubris with a lock in place. It doesn't matter what the lock rating is; even a lock rating of 1 prevents any and all increases or decreases of Hubris (or whatever attribute is locked).

QuoteAlso, in several of the examples the characters boost each other's stats, but then the conflict ends. In the Metamorphosis section on page 20, for example, Lydia seems really happy about her big Arete boost -- but it really has no effect upon the game. Is this just an example of PCs gearing up in case there is a next round, or should there be some effect from having a stat boosted in the round it is boosted?

(Actually, that question is more than just a "how is it done" it could be a "would this work better" -- as boosting your own and other PC stats is only useful in multiple round conflicts as it stands. You can't help out another PC with a boost in the same round, so if you think the conflict is over at the end of the current phase there isn't any reason to do it.)

You are correct, and I've taken a second (or third, fourth, or whatever it is now!) look at this exact issue. I don't have an immediate solution for you, but I am examining it.

Yes, currently the only reason they do this is to prepare for the possibility of another immediate phase. Otherwise, the boosts are meaningless, because reality "bounces back" to the state it was at the beginning of the conflict.

QuoteOn page 22, in the first example, why does Alexander lock his Hubris if it's his Arete that's been raised?

Embarrassingly, I think this is a typo. It should say he's locking his Arete. I'm surprised no one noticed this before. I wish I had!

QuoteDo burned Muses return to normal at the end of the scene, as other stats do? (Or is this something that is obsolete with the new Muse rules?)

No! Muses do not bounce back. They are resources that are spent and gained, here and now. This probably needs clarification in the text.

QuoteOn page 16 the example of the GM's total is wrong – the beast has a total of 1 (ace) + 4 (4) + 9 (9) + 10 (Queen) + 0 (Joker) for a total of 24.

On page 17 in the second bullet under Tricks the "some other any opponent" should be changed to something like "any other opponent" or "some other opponent"

Page 18, example "a plan" not "an plan"

Cool. Thanks for those fixes. Some I had not caught previously. Someone has mentioned the problem with the example on page 16.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra