News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

attributes or proficiencies

Started by toli, January 23, 2004, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toli

One of the other threads got me wondering about people's approach to character design and advancement.  Namely, do you focus on increasing attributes or profieciencies ahead of the other...or both at the same time?  Similary when creating a character, which one do you take as a higher priority...?  Just curious...NT
NT

Jake Norwood

The priority I set depends on the character concept, but I generally work on Proficiencies during play.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lance D. Allen

I think it really depends, also, on how low your attributes start out to begin with. If you started out with low attributes, you're not going to have a lot of raw ability, and they'll be easy to raise, so it's fairly simple to raise them before proficiencies... Generally, I see a lot of character improvement, at least in the earlier stages, being shoring up of weaknesses before you start pushing your strengths.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

toli

Quote from: WolfenGenerally, I see a lot of character improvement, at least in the earlier stages, being shoring up of weaknesses before you start pushing your strengths.

That has generally been my approach.  I'll trade off attributes during char gen so that some are low.  I then raise these asap.  For example, if I make a woodsman type character, I'd usually sacrifice MA (poor education) and soc (no used to being around people) for other attributes.  I'd then raise MA and Soc as soon as I get the SA points to do so.  

NT
NT