News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nova Terrani

Started by Kilor Di, January 24, 2004, 12:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilor Di

I've posted my notes on my online resume.  Here, at www.geocities.com/greginkelaar/projects.html click on Nova Terrani.  Anything I'm thinking of changing or removing should be highlighted in yellow, and any editorial mistakes I caught after transferring the file to PDF are underlined.

EDIT: Oh, and don't worry about the game's name.  That's temporary, something I'll be using until I can think of a REAL name for it.
A good game knows how to pull you in time after time.  A great game never lets go.
                                             -Me

Kilor Di

Any comments?  I notice that quite a few people have viewed this already, but I'm getting zero feedback.  Come on, people.  If I didn't want your opinions, I wouldn't have posted this on the net.
A good game knows how to pull you in time after time.  A great game never lets go.
                                             -Me

Alan

Hi Kilor,

I've had a quick look.  I couldn't find a game system, just setting material.  From a game design point of view, there isn't much to comment on.

What do you want to do with the material?  What experience do you want players to have?  Any game mechanics in mind?
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Kilor Di

Well, I'm trying to get the setting down before I start working on the mechanics for it.  I've already put down some early concepts for it, though.  For instance, originally magic worked very similar to DnD, which would have required me to make a long list of spells.  Later, I decided to make magic more like altering the world by force of will rather than using a DnD-type spell system.  This means that the spells listed are more of a list of suggested spells that could be used in a campaign than an actual list of spells a mage will learn (which kind of ruins my concept for Zodiac magic, but oh well).

But before I start working on a completed game mechanics system, I have a lot of work to do.  I still need to complete my bestiary, add some job classes, add some technological devices and spells, et al.  I just would like some opinions on what I have so far.  Although I would appreciate opinions on what kind of game mechanics could work for Nova Terrani (and for a better name for the game, of course).
                                             -Me

Kryyst

Quote from: Kilor Di
But before I start working on a completed game mechanics system, I have a lot of work to do.  I still need to complete my bestiary, add some job classes, add some technological devices and spells, et al.  I just would like some opinions on what I have so far.  Although I would appreciate opinions on what kind of game mechanics could work for Nova Terrani (and for a better name for the game, of course).

Know what the setting is, is one thing.  But know what type of game you want is completely different.  It's that type of game that will determine what kind of mechanics are work best for you.

For example take a setting like your typical Fantasy setting, you know humans, elves, dwarfs, orcs etc.... But depending on the mechanics that you put to it you'll get different games.

Look at D20, Warhammer, Riddle of Steel, Rolemaster, Lord of the Rings, Hero Quest and Palladium.  All have a very similar settings or setting elements.  But the games you play in them often have very different feels because of the mechanics used in them.  You have a range of story types from the Heroic Adventures that make commoners quake to the very grimm and gritty Adventures that are little more then commoners with a shiny sword and a glimmer of hope.  You also have a wide range of narrative style situations to very detailed and strategic style of play.

So you really need to decide what types of games you want played in your setting before any real mechanical help can be offered.

Then perhaps the next or the first question you should answer for yourself is do you really need to make an entirely new rules engine or would you be fine with an existing set of rules and just make slight modifications for your setting.

Alan

Hello again Kilor,

First, let me give a belated Welcome to the Forge!

Bestiary, job classes, technological devices and spells all sound like you've already made some decisions about how your system will work.  In the same way, a detailed setting also assumes a certain kind of game - one where the players contributions are limited in certain ways.

Setting details are useful, but they are not actual play and they aren't used the same way by every system.  

I don't want to discourage you, but you may want to look at your own expectations.  How much of your motive comes because you like writing cool setting details, and how much from wanting to give your players a cool experience playing your game?  An emphasis on the second is what creates good games.

I think it would be wise for you to step back and ask yourself "what experience do I want people to have when they play my game?"  One strategy suggested here (in a thread I can no longer locate) is imagine a play session and write down the script of what players say and do.  Then look at that and see what kind of mechanics and setting will produce that kind of play.

Some threads that will help you here at the Forge:

Sticky: Indie Design policy announcement
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=3700

Posting of Settings without rules systems?
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=1859

Fantasy Heartbreakers
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/9/

Any of the articles in this section:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Kilor Di

Actually, to be honest, I thought I'd done pretty well with what rules I've made so far (the restrictions on becoming an Elite class, the characters that are only playable if the GM allows, etc.).  Originally, the priestly powers could only be used once per day, but I'm thinking of attaching the priest's power to a stat.  I haven't decided on the stats yet, except for knowing that Intellect will be for technological classes such as technicians and medics, while Willpower will be for magical classes such as mages and priests (at least, those priests who can be classified as magical, anyway).

As for how I see Nova Terrani (no comments on the name...I figured I'd be getting a LOT of grief about that), I originally saw it as a dungeon-crawling game, much like DnD (one of the only PnP games I've ever played).  Of course, technological characters don't have as much experience in dungeons, so that gives them a disadvantage.  Still, it would be nice to preserve the dungeon crawling aspect, especially when you consider what a technological dungeon would be like.  And of course, I can't very well get away with not letting people play through the various wars of Nova Terrani: The Terran Wars, The Great Wars, The Cataclysim, et al.  I could change it to be a war-oriented game, but I feel it would lose something if I did, so I think it's best as a dungeon crawler.  Still, every once in a while I think of a variation of that one DnD skit (I honestly don't know what the name of it is) that might fit my game.  You know, the one that starts out as:

GM's voice:...you are in a dark chamber.  You see mold covering the walls, and...
Player One, who's playing a Warrior, shouting from the kitchen:Where's the cheetos?
GM: They're right in front of you.
Player One: Where's the nachos?
GM: They're in the fridge, duh.
Player One: Can I have a Mountain Dew?
GM:Yeah, just go get it.

I can just imagine the some parts of that, with a few Nova Terrani touches:

Player One, playing a Solider, shouting from the kitchen:I'm not in the room, am I?
GM:What room?
Player Two, playing a Technician:I wanna use a Mind Flare.
P1: The room where he's using all these devices!
GM: He hasn't used any devices yet.
P2:Well I will if you listen!  I use Mind Flare.
GM: Why are you using Mind Flare?  There's nothing to attack.
P2: Um...I'm attacking the darkness.
*nerdy laughter*
GM:OK.  You attack the darkness.  Suddenly, you see a Ka' Niar.
P2:Whoa!
Player Three, playing a Ka' Niar technician:That's me, right?
GM: He has purple scales and pink eyes...
P3:No I don't, I have purple eyes.
GM: What? Let me see your character sheet.
P3: Well, it says I have pink eyes, but I decided I wanted purple eyes.
GM:Whatever.  You guys can talk to each other now.
P2: I am Arthur, Master Technician!
P3: If you're a master technician, how come you used Mind Flare?
*more nerdy laughter*

Ahem...sorry, got a little side tracked.  Anyway, you've read my notes.  What do YOU think would make a good game mechanic for this game?  Although I do have an active imagination, it's taken me about three or four years just to make what I have, which is not a whole lot.  My best stuff has come in just the past few months, thanks to the people at this forum board.  If you can suggest anything that will improve this game, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: Oh yes, one more thing. In an early post (Magic-Techno RPGs, on this board), someone mentioned something about making the game for competitions.  How would that work?
EDIT:OK, two more things.  I would like players to be able to lose themselves in this world.  You know, the type of game where you don't even notice that three hours have gone by.  Hope that helps with the mechanics question.  Also, I want to limit MIN/MAXing and munchkining as much as possible (which might not be easy with Elite classes and Career-Track classes).
                                             -Me

Kilor Di

Oh, and I forgot to ask something.  Are there any questions about my notes on Nova Terrani?  I ask because I was skimming through the PDF and I found that I described the Necrinore, the dragons of the element of death, as looking like dragon victims of the Conversion spell.  But in the list of spells, it looks like I forgot to include the Conversion spell (it basically turns a living creature into an undead one by turning them inside out...so they have bone on the outside, followed by organs, muscle, etc.) in the list of Necromantic spells.
                                             -Me

Eero Tuovinen

Quote from: Kilor Di
As for how I see Nova Terrani (no comments on the name...I figured I'd be getting a LOT of grief about that),

Hohoo, you clearly want a naming comment, so here goes...

In latin, you'd say "Terrae Novae" (or "Novae Terrae" if you insist) for "New Lands". 'Nova' is the nomine singular for 'new', and 'terrani' isn't anything, except if you mean the genetive/plural of 'terrenus' ('of the earth'), which would be terrenis/es, the word being of third declination.

Here is some other possibilities to ponder:

Terra Nova = New Land
Terrae Novae = New Lands
Ad Terram Novam = Towards a New Land
Homo Terrenus Novus = The New Earthling
Praeterranova = In the Front of the New Land
Solum Novum = New Soil
Patria Nova = New Homeland

The latin freak strikes again! Will translate games for negligible reward!

As for the actual text, others have already commented on the crusial parts. Ponder those comments, young padawan, and grow in strength like a virile willow!
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Kilor Di

Hmm...Terrae Novae has a nice ring to it.  I think I'll use that.  Thanks.
                                             -Me