News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What did swords weigh?

Started by Jake Norwood, January 30, 2004, 03:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

John Clements recently wrote this article in response to the questions of a gamer that he had corresponded with. This may be of interest to some, and not to others.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

Discuss at will, but try to keep it tied-in to TROS.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Salamander

Quote from: Jake NorwoodJohn Clements recently wrote this article in response to the questions of a gamer that he had corresponded with. This may be of interest to some, and not to others.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm

Discuss at will, but try to keep it tied-in to TROS.

Jake

I found the read to be interesting and feel that it may have a tie in for TRoS. To me this seems to have come from the misconception comment I made in regards to those who have no idea what a real sword fight was. I think it is a good idea to look at the mass of a weapon in the misconception spotlight. In the short run I can think of a couple of areas this may prove handy. First of all, the number of weapons you can pile in a cart before it becomes too heavy to move. Second, the mass of a weapon in the considerations of spell CTNs.

This reminds me of a story...

Whilst sitting around a friend's backyard firepit last summer I was discussing fencing and naturally most people assumed I was speaking of sport or olympic fecing. One fellow chimed in that he found it to be very invigorating and exciting. I indicated I was referring to a more medievel/renaissance type of fence. He responded that he had tried that style of fence but found the swords too clumsy, bulky and heavy to use. I looked at my fellow student, who also happens to be my wife (5'7" 130lbs) who has never had a problem with the weight or balance of the weapons we train with, and smiled.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Hereward The Wake

Well he was probabyl trying to use them as if they were foils or modern sprt sabres. Not bearing in mind that one has to consider the use of body mechaincs when changing weapon and style.

Salamander wrote-
Whilst sitting around a friend's backyard firepit last summer I was discussing fencing and naturally most people assumed I was speaking of sport or olympic fecing. One fellow chimed in that he found it to be very invigorating and exciting. I indicated I was referring to a more medievel/renaissance type of fence. He responded that he had tried that style of fence but found the swords too clumsy, bulky and heavy to use. I looked at my fellow student, who also happens to be my wife (5'7" 130lbs) who has never had a problem with the weight or balance of the weapons we train with, and smiled
Above all, Honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary EHCG
secretary@ehcg.net
www.ehcg.net