News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Player Behaviour Dangers

Started by Ian O'Rourke, May 12, 2001, 08:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

I see that, James, but I also think that the difference is subtle enough that my points still apply. The key issue is whether the players are taking any form of Author Stance all.

Let me give you an example: in my Hero Wars group, the players tended to play the "read the GM's face to know what to do" game. Tired of this, I put the plot-motor process on the table: the characters are getting a vision (during a HeroQuest, yadda yadda) about where to go and what to do. The players were responsible to tell me, the GM, where that destination was on the map of Glorantha. The characters knew nothing of that decision; they would simply follow the arrow of the vision wherever it went. It would then be my job, as GM, to match the character goals (which are explicit on the sheet in this game) with whatever might be interesting about that locale.

In other words, I forced the players to enter into the "what is going to happen next" process, at least in terms of locale. As GM, I am no longer interested in being solely responsible for such things.

The main reason I'm posting, though, is that I think that Gordon's point about EXACTLY WHY one's role-playing experiences are unsatisfying is precisely on target. That would seem, to me, to be your next avenue of inquiry about your games.

And lo and behold, I see a thread dedicated exactly to that on the Actual Play forum! See you there.

Best,
Ron