News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I am not a crook -- new game ideas

Started by Matt Snyder, February 06, 2004, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

Ok, here's a bit of a fun rant.

For the second time this week, I've seen a preview of a game or movie that is almost exactly like an idea I have for a new RPG.

So, I'm going on record with the following "games of the future" before my once fresh ideas become retreads

1) The Producers: I want to make a gamist "movie maker" game in which the players all take a turn at being the producer of a Hollywood film. The goal is to acquire votes from the academy (aka the players) for Best Director, Best Actor, etc., and ultimately for Best Picture. Making movies would involve portraying actors and F/X houses. But also lawyers and divorcees. Hell yeah.

Why I'm saying this: There is an upcoming computer game called Producer, I think. You make movies (go figure). I don't know much about the game, though.

2) Tabloid! Another gamist idea -- I want to make a competive game in which players are tabloid reporters vying for the most outrageous banner headline. Game play would involve actually laying out words or cards to write the headlines.

Why I'm saying this: Someone already was working on a similar concept in Indie Game Design a few months back. (Was it Ethan Greer? I can't remember now.)

3) The Illiad -- This is an old favorite of mine. I'd love to create the game that is to the Illiad what Pendragon is to Le Morte De Arthur (and, you know, wish me luck ever achieving anything close Stafford's awesome work)

Why I'm saying this: There are two Trojan War movies coming out this year, and Green Ronin just announced a D20 supplement akin to Testament (er, I think it's D20).

4) Star Arena -- this one is actually the closest to being realized. I want to make a fun, fast-paced game inspired by first-person shooters, especially Unreal Tournament games. The idea is that combat in the arena is a "go," but acquiring Interstellar FAME is the real step-on-up.

Why I'm saying this: Well, nothing really coming out, just thought I'd share some ideas.

That is all.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Michael S. Miller

HI, Matt.

Cool ideas all. I noticed Dreamspire wasn't on the list. Does that mean it's back burner, or just that you didn't feel the need to mark it as territory since it's been heavily discussed here?

Quote from: Matt Snyder1) The Producers: I want to make a gamist "movie maker" game in which the players all take a turn at being the producer of a Hollywood film. The goal is to acquire votes from the academy (aka the players) for Best Director, Best Actor, etc., and ultimately for Best Picture. Making movies would involve portraying actors and F/X houses. But also lawyers and divorcees. Hell yeah.

If it's all about the originality, I gotta say that I started developing Limelight: Lifestyles of the Famous and Imaginary over a year ago. Of course, the project hasn't been officially green-lighted, so you're sure to get yours done first. But if you'd like to collaborate, let me know.

Of course, I don't think it's all about the originality (I'm working on a Superheroes game, for Pete's sake), so let me just paraphrase Goethe is saying that all original game thoughts have already been thought, it is our job to design them again.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Michael S. MillerCool ideas all. I noticed Dreamspire wasn't on the list. Does that mean it's back burner, or just that you didn't feel the need to mark it as territory since it's been heavily discussed here?

Dreamspire is most certainly not on the back burner. I've made some progress on the game design over the winter. It's getting much closer to completion, but I'll make a big push to get Nine Worlds out the door first. Then, I'll tackle Dreamspire. Hopefully, that means this summer, or this year at least.

QuoteIf it's all about the originality, I gotta say that I started developing Limelight: Lifestyles of the Famous and Imaginary over a year ago. Of course, the project hasn't been officially green-lighted, so you're sure to get yours done first. But if you'd like to collaborate, let me know.

Oh, I'm very UNlikely to get it done first. All these ideas are pretty back-burner. Please don't hold or delay anything on my account, ever!

QuoteOf course, I don't think it's all about the originality (I'm working on a Superheroes game, for Pete's sake), so let me just paraphrase Goethe is saying that all original game thoughts have already been thought, it is our job to design them again.

Heh, true indeed. I doubt there's much new under the sun, my ideas above included. It's what we as individuals do with these that makes it fun for me.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Nick the Nevermet

I just wanted to say I'd build a shrine if you did the Iliad RPG.

I'm almost tempted to say give each player a 'family tree' of heroes descended from a particular god.  That way, players can think in terms of the god's motivations, and specific characters can die. A lot.

Here's another question: how much emphasis would be specifically on the Trojan War, and how much would be about constructing your own fictional war?  I'm thinking about Nobilis and how the players build the Imperator and the Chancel here... have the players and the GM 'build the war;' the gods, who city-states, etc. as part of game preparation.  A little more work, to be sure, but that'd be fun.

Now here's the least elegant question I have for you: G, N, or S?  Is it Greek Heroes vs. Trojan Heroes?  Telling the tale of two morally gray (or black & white) sides locked in war over some sparking issue (Helen's choices about love, for example)?  Or having fun with the 'internal logic' of a war between men that gets out of hand and sucks the pantheon into it?

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Nick PagnuccoI just wanted to say I'd build a shrine if you did the Iliad RPG.
I think that Jonathan Walton's game is supposed to be something like this.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Nick the Nevermet

oh, drat, I completely forgot about that.  Thanks.

My apologies to Jonathon Walton if he reads this thread

Matt Snyder

Hoo, boy, Nick. Don't tempt me!

Yes, I had similar ideas in mind in regards to the family tree and immortal lineage. Nothing specific, just thought it'd be cool.

The emphasis for the game, I think, would be entirely Trojan War. I think the game might include thoughts on how to do "other" ancient wars (Thermopylae, anyone?), but that'd be pretty anecdotal material, if included at all.

I really haven't formulated enough ideas to answer the GNS question. I'm inclined to say S, but that really depends on what the game becomes.

The game will be called "Aristeia," by the way, which may help answer the GNS query. An aristeia (pronounced air-uh-STY-uh) is a hero's finest moment. For example, in the Iliad Diomedes' aristeia occurs in Book 5 (if memory serves). He goes nuts, killing Trojans left and right, and even wounds two gods (Aphrodite and Ares) with Athena's help. It is his divinely inspired greatest hour.

So, one aspect of the game will be creating your characters aristeia in-game. Really, that could fit under any Creative Agenda pretty well.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra