News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Games that Alyrians play

Started by GreatWolf, February 12, 2004, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

Once upon a time, I had toyed with the idea of creating Alyrian board games.  You know, what sort of games would they play in the Citadel?  How about the Ark? However, I let this idea go by the wayside.

Fast forward several years.  I'm reading a board game website that has a review of the GIPF project.  I do more research and I am intrigued.  So I threw together mockups of the games to decide if I like them or not.  (I don't want to spend money on a game that I won't play.)

Crystal and I were trying out DVONN when I realized that this was an Alyrian game.  In particular, it seemed to fit into the Web.  After all, the game is about maintaining connections with neigbors while forming power coalitions around a few anchor points.  Plus, it's quite fun to play.

So I thought that I'd throw open this thread purely for speculation.  What sorts of games do you think that Alyrians would play?  After all, the games that we play reflect the social conditions of the cultures that produce them.  What sorts of Earth games would survive in the alien cultures of Alyria?  What new games might be produced?

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Valamir

How about a checkers variant, where if you get to the opposite side of your opponents board you "summon a dragon" instead of get kinged or "summon a Unicorn".  If one side wins without summoning anything its a win.  If only one side summons and then wins its a total win, but if both sides summon then at best its a draw...or something like that.

Reversi also strikes me as a game that would appeal to Alyrians.