News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Burning Wheel Annual 1: Input your Suggestions

Started by Luke, February 17, 2004, 12:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Hi All,

One of the projects on my plate is to produce a Burning Wheel "Annual". This book will include all of the updates, variants, alternates, additions and errata that we have come up with in the past year. Stuff that has been scattered around the website either as posts or pdfs will be compiled into a single (BW format) book, edited, arted and printed.

As of now, I am planning on including:
Variant Artha rules
Variant Wound Penalties rules
Orc Hatred rules (Blood Sacrifice will be in the Magic Burner)
Von Goten's Predicament
Poisonous Ambition

Black Barbarian LPs
Slave Raider LPs
Lost Atlantean LPs
Dark Elf LPs (yet to be finished)

Please tell me what I am missing and what you'd like to see included. I really do need help with this.
    • Please link to relevant threads for errata or additions.
    • Please provide errata with page numbers.
    • Please feel free to suggest your own work. I can't pay your for your submissions, but you will be credited.[/list:u]

WHAT WILL NOT BE INCLUDED
Nothing that will be published in the Monster Burner or the Magic Burner will be included, such as:
Abstractions
Summoning
Enchanting
Blood Magic

Wolves
Trolls
Spiders

Thank you in advance for your considered input into this necessary and difficult project.
-Luke

Sammael99

One thing I'm thinking of is this long thread where you explain how to design lifepaths. Can't find it right now, but it's great !

edomaur

I'm working on my own system, and I've written down some frameworks for helping to caracterize lands and country. It could be of some use to have a "Domain Burner" or a "Land Burner" in option for the BW.

Land Burner : kind of plants, beasts, history of the roads, etc.
Domain Burner : trade, polity, current affairs, etc.

It is indeed of some use in a travelling kind of game, à la "Reve: The Dream Orobouros" or if your players are lazy (mine are).
Antoine Boegli
production manager
2d Sans Faces, société coopérative
http://www.2dsansfaces.com

Morrius

The lifepaths in the Character Burner are very euro-centric.  While this is not a problem for the metahumans, I think it would be interesting to see some far-eastern styled lifepaths.
I do not have an attitude problem, you have a perception problem.

Enoch

What about the fast mass combat rules?

-Joshua
omnia vincit amor
The Enclave

tetsujin28

I'll chime in for some non-Eurocentric lifepaths, a "lifepath generator" or rule that describe how to create your own in detail. A Land Burner would be awesome. Oh...and a Witch-hunter LP :-)
Now with cheese!

spunky

Please consider lifepaths for:

Vikings (can be extrapolated from Peasant/Villager/Sailor, but would be nice to have something that reflects the culture, instead of cobbled together)

Nomads (Ghengis K & the Mongols or their fantasy equivalent)
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

Mulciber

Hello all,

Please note that Luke specifically asks that we provide links or citations to whatever we suggest.

Quote from: abzuPlease tell me what I am missing and what you'd like to see included. I really do need help with this.
    • Please link to relevant threads for errata or additions.
    • Please provide errata with page numbers.
    • Please feel free to suggest your own work. I can't pay your for your submissions, but you will be credited.[/list:u]
As such, I suggest that for the Burning Wheel Annual Suggestions Thread that one confine oneself to referencing information already written down, as Luke is clearly not asking for suggestions on what to write next.

Best,
Will

spunky

A good ref would be GURPS: Vikings

Using the current lifepaths, Vikings might all start with Son of a Gun, then Farmer/Hersman/Hunter, then a Soldier path, with Jarls picking 1-2 from the noble list...

I don't know if there's any gaming books that give a good BG for nomadic barbarians along the line of the Golden Horde (or the Sioux, for that matter)...

Except for Ars Magica: Novgorod Tribunal, which has a Mongol supplement in its appendix.

Other stuff I'd like to see:
Black powder rules -- they're some there, but the rules are incomplete
Geasa (GURPS: Celts a nice ref there)...
Exterminate all rational thought.
                 ---Wm. S. Burroughs

Kaare Berg

Look I may be reading Luke wrong her, but if you want the Viking Lifepaths;
generate them,
post them,
we all chime in
and you send them to Luke.

I'd love to see them, but just don't have the time to do it and if I find that Luke has been taking time off from the Monster Burner, Magic burner and mutilation of sacred cows (in joke) to do anything else, I might have to go to New York and test the Steel rules my self.

Seriously though,
Spunky is on to something.
Use source material, copy and modify the exsisting lifepaths (change some names) arrange them in different settings and voila: you have the viking lifepaths.

Post them here for discussion (or a link) and send a copy to Luke.
Best case: you get them in the annual.
worst case: you get the viking lifepaths.

just remember the lifepath trait: unmanly for any lifepath involving seid ( magic).
-K

Luke

thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

however, this thread isn't going where I intended it. Let's consider it closed.

Feel free to start a BW Wish List thread here or on bw.org.

Oh, a final note: Never use other games for source material for your game. Always go back to the original source material. Game designers are notorious for picking and choosing particular details over others -- for politicizing the content and slanting facts toward the light of their games.  Games that simply pick up material wholesale from other games are often repeating mistakes and doing themselves a disservice. Trust me, I would never want anyone to use the Lifepaths as map for medieval life.

thank again,
-Luke