News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ron, where's my prize? :)

Started by Steve Samson, February 18, 2004, 11:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Samson

I didn't know where to post this, but since it is in response to one of Ron's essays ("GNS and Other Matters of Roleplaying Theory"), I figured the RPG Theory forum would be it's home. :)

In this essay Ron states:

QuoteBy far and away, the worst misunderstanding of GNS, with the worst consequences, arises from synecdoche, confounding the part with the whole and vice versa

This definition is key, please keep it in mind.

Ron also states:

QuoteNote: "synecdoche" is pronounced "sin-ECK-doe-key." Think Schenectady and vasectomy. If you can make a good limerick out of these three words, I'll give you a prize.

I thus humbly submit the following for your perusal and amusement. (And my apologies if this has been done already, I just now read the essay.)

There once was a man from Schenectady,
Whose doctor gave him a vasectomy.
He woke up and found
His %#!@ on the ground,
A tragic result of synecdoche.

With that, I will now get back to real work. :)

Steve

Ron Edwards

Actually, it belongs here in GNS, Steve.

Sadly, I cannot bestow the prize upon you until you tell me whether "%#!@" means:

- cock
- dick
- penis
- johnson
- tallywhacker
- john thomas
- schlong
- wang

... or perhaps something else.

And yes, I get a lot of limericks. There's a thread or two about them around here somewhere, if I'm not mistaken.

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards

Oh yes, forgot - Steve, I am of course kidding. Contact me by email for your prize.

Best,
Ron

Walt Freitag

The previous threads are here and here. There's also a limerick in the second post in this thread, which, interestingly, appears to be the very first public comment on the GNS essay.

(They're easy to find, just search "Schenectady.")

You mean there really is a prize? Damn. (Maybe I didn't qualify because I misspelled "synecdoche?")

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere