News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Moon Revolutions: The Celestial Game

Started by joshua neff, February 24, 2004, 10:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua neff

This coming Saturday will see the first session of my groups new HeroQuest run. (I abandoned the previous run out of my frustrations with my own GMing. I decided that what I needed was a bit more focus.) The Lunar Empire has quickly become one of my all-time favorite settings, & the brief tagline for "The Moon Revolutions" on the Hero Wars hotspot map in HeroQuest was intriguing enough for me to come up with this:

"The Celestial Game"

Instability threatens the Lunar Empire. The teaching of Unlike Ways--controversial beliefs and practices--is in dispute.

A student at the Temple of the Conquering Daughter in Jillaro has been found dead of an apparent suicide. She had been accused by the Head Professors of investigating, and possibly practicing, Unlike Ways, but she died before the matter could be fully resolved.

The High Priestess wants the student's death and studies to be investigated quietly and discreetly. However, the student's father is Tribune Krentius, commander of the local Lunar regiment. Taking it upon himself to deal with the situation, Krentius has surrounded the great Temple with his troops, allowing no one to enter or leave until the mystery surrounding his daughter has been solved. Krentius has declared his intention to investigate the mystery himself, but the High Priestess has so far been able to keep Krentius and his soldiers out of the Temple complex. Tensions between the soldiers and Temple denizens are riding very, very high.

While the Inner Imperial Council debates this alarming chain of events, the Imperial Synod, taking matters into its own hands, has secretly dispatched an agent to resolve the matter in Jillaro...

Setting: Jillaro, a large, Lunar city of around 20,000 people, is the capital of the satrapy of Sylila. Designed by the hero-goddess Hwarin Dalthippa (the Conquering Daughter who married the chieftan Ingkot Axe-and-a-Half and brought Sylila into the Empire), Jillaro is full of paved streets, plazas, statues, and murals. The great Oslir river runs by the east side of the city. On the northern edge of the city is the broad acropolis, which is dominated by the Temple of the Conquering Daughter.
    The Temple of the Conquering Daughter is a mighty religious center and school. Dedicated to Hwarin Dalthippa, it is a massive complex of temples devoted to the various Lunar gods, libraries, classrooms and study halls, and dormitories for priests, professors, and students. The Temple is the primary religious center of Jillaro and the most prestigious academy in Sylila.

Narrator Characters:
Mother Iphrina, High Priestess of the Temple of the Conquering Daughter--A beautiful and magnetic woman in her late 50s, Iphrina is a comforting caretaker, an astute politician, and a fierce defender of her Temple. Mother Iphrina is well-known in Jillaro and well-loved by the Temple priests, scholars, and students.

Tribune Krentius Ferrius, Commander of the Red Rising Star Regiment--Known as "the Wolf," Krentius is a man in his early 60s with silver hair, icy blue eyes, and a stony demeanor. He's well-known as a brilliant soldier and a charismatic leader. He's also known to be something of a fanatic when it comes to the Empire. Krentius is a zealous Lunar, but he has a great hatred for more esoteric and problematic beliefs, especially those that stress the mysticism of the religion over the authority of the government.

Vella Ferrius, Temple student--Vella was a beautiful, intelligent, well-spoken young woman and a promising student. Her suicide has come as a shock to everyone who knows her.

Centurion Darscion Errio, Commander of the Flying Hound Company--A thin, muscular man with a boyish face, Darscion is young for a centurion. Some whisper that he rose so quickly in the ranks because of his noble background. Others maintain that he is brave, intelligent, and loyal. Darscion is one of Krentius'  most-trusted aides. Despite his prowess in battle, Darscion is generally shy and soft-spoken. It is common knowledge that Darscion was planning to marry Vella, and the two had Krentius' blessing.

Centurion Laxaerius, Commander of the Sword Dancing Company--Laxaerius is handsome, square-jawed, and very charismatic. Known more for his leadership and political skills than his fighting, Laxaerius is another of Krentius' highly-trusted aides.

Tarinum, Head Professor at the Temple--A stern, serious man in his mid-40s (although he sometimes seems much older), Tarinum is a brilliant scholar and a poor teacher. He obviously prefers books to people. Despite this, Mother Iphrina seems to hold his council important, and she frequently consults him on matters within the school and temple.

Alura, Head Professor at the Temple--An intelligent and passionate woman in her 40s with fair skin and long, red hair, Alura is considered to be an exceptional, insightful scholar whose council is important to Mother Iphrina. It is commonly known that she and Tarinum are involved.

Andikot, Head Professor at the Temple--Andikot is a husky man in his early 40s with thick, dark hair and an impressive beard. Andikot is well-liked by the students, despite being loud, argumentative, stubborn, and moody. His manner, however, tends to alienate the other professors and priests. He is known to be one of the foremost authorities on Lunar history and mythology.

Gray Estara, agent of the Imperial Synod--Estara is a beautiful, young woman with short, black hair and fierce, dark eyes. Wrapped in a gray robe and cloak, she has just arrived in Jillaro to investigate the situation at the Temple. Few know anything about her, but those that do know of her as a brilliant problem-solver.

Septon Murzelm, Commander of the Fire-Eater Squad--Laxaerius' aide, Murzelm is rarely seen away from the Centurion unless he's on a mission for his superior. Murzelm is in his mid-20s, ruggedly handsome, and a good soldier, but know to be fairly humorless.

Gwin Errio, Temple student--A slight, wide-eyed, pretty young woman with long, brown hair. Before Vella's death, the two were inseparable.

Bendrek Errio, local noble--Bendrek is a noble of the ErrioUnit clan and the highest ranking noble in Sylila after the Satrap. He's a tall, intimidating man in his early 50s with a wry sense of humor. Everyone knows Bendrek is intensely protective of his children.

Cynasta Ferrius--Krentius' noble-born wife. She's in her early 40s, but looks much younger. Cynasta is known to be compassionate, friendly, and whimsical--a stark contrast to her dour husband.

We got together a couple of weeks ago & made characters (& then due to one circumstance & another have been unable to play until this weekend). What we ended up with is this cast of heroes:

Warryt Dosh (play by Ryan)--A Lunarized Dara Happan scholar & teacher at the Temple. He's an acolyte of Andikot. He's also a member of the Servants of the Almighty Dragons & a student of draconic lore. It was he that got Vella into Unlikely Ways--the study of dragons. He is desperate to keep any investigation from happening, due to his involvement & the negative reaction people have to fans of dragons. He also wants to get Andikot out of the way & replace him as a Head Professor.

Septon Alaerin (played by Julie)--Lunarized Sylilan, commander of the "Death From Above!" Squad, & aide to Centurion Darscion. She's a major badass with an axe or javelin. She also emulates Tribune Krentius & wants to be the one to solve the conflict, to distinguish herself in his eyes. Alaerin has dreams of rising through the ranks as a career soldier & becoming a warlord someday.

BevekSoo "Goes-Afar" of the MoraSoo Clan (played by Mike Holmes)--A Darjiini petty noble from an area that is claimed by Sylila but heavily Darjiini. His hometown is currently being claimed by a Sylilan noble (who does, by rights, own the land the town is on). The noble wants the dirty Darjiini evicted. Bevek, a diplomat, has traveled to Jillaro to appeal to the Satrap for help in the dispute. A former student of the Temple & a friend of Lord Bendrek, he wants to help solve the conflict & get in good with the Jillaro nobility.

I also suggested we create a common myth connected to the setting & conflict. Mike blurted out, "How about how Endyryk the Wise got lease of the hill the Temple is on from a hill daimon called Orimfestor?" Ryan & Julie both agreed that they liked that. I took that sentence & wrote up a myth that can be a small heroquest at some point.

Some of my favorite character bits (just from character creation):

* BevekSoo's two followers, a retainer nicknamed "Chunk" & a sidekick nicknamed "Drum-Strike." I also like his personality trait of Dry Sense Of Humor.

* Alaerin's ability of Cut The Crap. (Easily augmented by her common magic Project Voice & her Yanafal Tarnils affinity of Warlord.)

* Warryt Dosh's ability "Who? Me?"

I'm really, really looking forward to running this. And after we play, I'll post what happens.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

doubtofbuddha

Sounds great. My group is going to be moving to Jillaro sometime soon so I will probably be taking advantage of this information. :)

J.
Jesse Dean

Games: Arcana Unearthed, D&D, Hero Quest, Exalted

AIM: doubtofbuddha
Yahoo: jessedn

Mike Holmes

Once again I have a character doomed to dislike Ryan's character - Darjiini have "Resent Dara Happans."

Sweet. I love picking on his characters. I've been practicing my line, "Chunk...get him!" :-)

Thematically, I'm curious to see if Bevek will get mixed up in any of the claims of "Unlike Ways." That is, I think that Darjiini animism is just outlandish enough that prejudice against his kind could lead to him being accused of being some sort of collusion with the bad guys. In any case the cultural differences are going to be fun to explore.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

doubtofbuddha

Do you happen to have a keyword for Hwarin Dalthippa?

Also did you have her as a seperate deity or a subcult for some other one and if so who?
Jesse Dean

RaconteurX

Quote from: doubtofbuddhaDo you happen to have a keyword for Hwarin Dalthippa? Also did you have her as a separate deity or a subcult for some other one and if so who?

I imagine she is potent enough to warrant her own cult. She is a goddess of war, civil engineering (after all, she did build Jillaro and the Daughter's Road) and women's domestic life, likely best described as separate aspects consisting of a single subcult apiece. You might contact Mark Galeotti or Stephen Martin and plead with them for a preview, since Under the Red Moon is not due out until summer.

joshua neff

I went on the HQ list & asked what Hwarin Dalthippa's affinities are (assuming that she is, in fact, large enough to warrant her own cult). I'm using those affinities to improvise. Since none of the PCs are actually initiates or devotees of her, it's not really all that important. Yet.
--josh

doubtofbuddha

Fair enough.

My players aren't either, but I like collecting Lunar HQ bits and pieces. Plus my players are going to be there soon so it might have come in handy.

How are you playing initiates and devotees of her? Since that might actually come up..
Jesse Dean

joshua neff

Oh, I love collecting bits about the Lunar Empire, too. I frickin' love the Lunar Empire.

So far, the only character (PC or NPC) who actually worships Hwarin Dalithippa is Mother Iphrina, the High Priestess of the Temple. (I figured it was only right that the High Priestess of the Temple of the Conquering Daughter actually be a devotee of the Conquering Daughter. It's probably not a dealbreaker, but it would certainly help on the resume & in the interview.) I see her as practical & down-to-earth, very canny politically, & a caretaker to her priests & teachers, her students, & her school. And not above kicking some ass in a fight if need be.
--josh

joshua neff

Also, as far as style & visuals go, I imagine the Lunar Empire as much less "Roman" & far more "Byzantine," with some Arabian Nights thrown in for good measure.
--josh

doubtofbuddha

Right. I am currently running my game in a small town outside of the City of 10K Magicians so I haven't been able to get too much into that yet, but with Jillaro I should be able to push the flavor down a bit more.

Btw, what do you see as the major differences between Roman and Byzantine?
Jesse Dean

Nick Brooke

Quote from: doubtofbuddhaBtw, what do you see as the major differences between Roman and Byzantine?
The question wasn't for me, but here's my brief answer: with the Byzantines, you have an officially-sanctioned theology existing in a complex relationship with the state hierarchy (where the Emperor is closer to God Almighty than just 'a god' among many), and you see several Hellenistic and Oriental aspects -- philosophy, proskynesis, etc. --coming to the fore (which were present but not so noticeable/dominant in Roman period).

There is a dialogue and cultural exchange between Byzantium and Islam (another Lunar inspiration, as Jeff notes: "Arabian Nights" and the Ottoman Empire both work well), and also between Byzantium and Russia (which is perhaps a more controversial Lunar inspiration: cf. Chris Gidlow's "Soviet Model").

These make Byzantium a useful source for Lunar ideas. Here's a seminar transcript from a bygone GloranthaCon which explores some other angles: read it if you're interested.

Cheers, Nick
Lokarnos.com
Your index to all the best Gloranthan websites

joshua neff

What Nick said. Also, I see the costumes & architecture as more ornate & oriental than what most people think of as Roman style. (I see the Dara Happans as Roman--all straight lines & 90 degree angles. Lunars are minarets & domes & curvy lines.)
--josh

Mike Holmes

Fun first session, Josh.

My favorite moment (biased, of course) had to be critically failiing my roll for my Darjiini Traditional Approach-Someone-Like-I'm-Someone-Important Dance processional that I was trying to use to get noticed by the local Tribune. Nearly got Julie to have her character Alaerin attack my character due to it's ill timed presentation. Sweet.

Second favorite was Alaerin dragging Ryan's slimey character Dosh off to see the Tribune. Dosh had been trying to implicate everyone in the temple in the practice of Unlike Ways, and nearly touched off a riot. Oh, and near riots are almost as hard to ignore as a rain of toads.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

joshua neff

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mike. Ryan & Julie both said they had fun, too. And I thought it was great.

I'm working on a long write-up right now.
--josh

joshua neff

Okay, at last, here's a summary of Saturday's game:

I opened the session describing a shot of the full, crimson moon in the night sky, then a pan down to a small riverboat pulling up to the Jillaro docks. A lone figure in a gray hood and robe steps out and walks up the dock to where two soldiers, Septon Alaerin and Septon Murzelm, are waiting. "I'm Gray Estara, agent of the Imperial Church Synod," the figure announces. "I assume you were sent to meet me? Take me immediately to Tribune Krentius." In the Tribune's tent, Krentius is meeting with his aides, Centurion Darscion and Centurion Laxaerius. Septon Alaerin walks in and introduces Gray Estara. Tribune Krentius says he doesn't have time to meet with Estara now and tells Darscion and Alaerin to deal with her. Outside, Darscion and Alaerin tell Estara to come back later, much to the agent's obvious dismay. The Darscion takes Alaerin aside and tells her he is recommending to Krentius that the Tribune negotiate with the High Priestess and resolve the situation as diplomatically as possible. Alaerin emulates Krentius (in fact, it's one of her personality traits: Emulate Tribune Krentius, which she used later to augment her command rolls) and makes it clear to Darscion that her loyalties like with the Tribune, as should his. Darscion explains that through his sister, a student at the Temple, he's learned that if a hostile force enters the Temple, the Temple Guardian will shake the Temple to the ground. This convinces Alaerin that a forceful entry would be a bad move.

Meanwhile, in the Temple, the scholar Warryt Dosh runs into his mentor, Andikot, carrying as bunch of scrolls. Andikot is on his way to a meeting with Mother Iphrina and the other Head Professors. As they walk to the meeting, Andikot asks Warryt his opinion on the situation. As he goes into the meeting, Andikot tells Warryt he thinks Mother Iphrina should let the military in to run the investigation. Warryt, who is the teacher who have the dead student the suspect lore, is nervous about this, but says nothing.

At the manor of noble Bendrek Errio, a servant interrupts Bendrek, relaxing in his mosaic bath, and says a diplomat in strange garb has arrived with attendants. The Darjiini BevekSoo "Goes-Afar" enters with his retainers, "Drum-Strike" and "Chunk." Bendrek recalls getting a letter from Bevek about the situation with the Darjiini town. He says he like to help, but he's busy right now with the situation at the Temple. Bevek offers to help in any way he can. Bendrek gets out of the bath and takes Bevek to meet a guest staying at the manor.

Warryt is eavesdropping outside the meeting room, listening to Andikot loudly argue for the military to be let in. "Someone in the Temple probably gave Vella any Unlike Ways lore she had. Everyone here, including me, is a suspect. We need an outside party to investigate." Tarinum sternly disagrees, saying the military have no jurisdiction over the Temple and it would set a dangerous precedent to let the military in. Alura argues both sides, apparently trying to get some compromise going. Suddenly, someone taps Warryt on the shoulder from behind: it's Gwin, Vella's best friend. She has a scroll in her hand, which she reveals to be one of Warryt's Draconic lore scrolls that he gave to Vella. He snatches from Gwin's hand, but she tells him she has more of the scrolls hidden. She threatens to reveal him, unless she helps him. She wants her brother, Centurion Darscion, to get the credit for solving the present crisis. She wants Warryt to suggest the military be allowed in, with Darscion leading the investigation. Warryt says he'll think about it.

Bendrek takes Bevek to a suite in the manor where Cynasta, the wife of Krentius, is staying. Bendrek asks if she will talk to her husband about backing off, but she refuses: she's not sure how she feels about his actions and she thinks she would make him look weak to his soldiers if she convinced him to change his course. Bendrek relents. Mike assumes that Bendrek and Cynasta are having an affair, so as they leave the suite, he has Bevek sing a Darjiini song that says, essentially, "I'm looking everywhere but where the people are having sex. I see nothing, I hear nothing." Bevek offers to leave immediately and talk to Krentius and try to resolve the situation.

Warryt interrupts the meeting to tell the Heads that Gwin "revealed to me that she also was investigating Unlike Ways." He holds up the scroll, attempting to frame the girl. Unfortunately, Ryan doesn't roll all that successfully, and the Heads remain skeptical. Mother Iphrina suggests they take a break to collect their thoughts. After everyone leaves, Warryt sneaks a look at Andikot's scrolls, but finds them to be of little interest. He leaves the meeting room and surprises Alura, who is talking to Andikot. She hurries off to find Tarinum.

Darscion tells Alaerin he doesn't want Estara to enter the Temple, and he wants to keep her from Krentius as long as possible. As Darscion leaves, Bevek approaches with his retinue, performing a traditional Darjinni dance and chant to introduce himself to everyone. Unfortunately, Mike blows his roll for the dance and finds himself surround by Alaerin and her squad. Julie outrolls Mike in a contest for who can be more authoritative and orders him to leave. Bevek dejectedly goes back to Bendrek's manor. Gray Estara then approaches Alaerin and demands to speak to Krentius. Alaerin tells her she'll have to wait, so Estara declares she'll enter the Temple, which is her right as an agent of the Imperial Synod. Alaerin orders her to stop. Estara draws out a nasty hand-scythe. Alaerin draws out her mighty Full Moon Bear Clan battleaxe. (I asked Julie if she wanted to resolve this with a simple or extended contest. Everyone agreed that it was too early in the game for an extended contest. So we both rolled and Julie easily won.) Estara runs at Alaerin and suddenly leaps over her, lands behind her, and swings the scythe. But Alaerin turns and knocks Estara back with the axe, the scythe flying out of the agent's hand. Alaerin puts the axe blade right at Estara's neck and tells her not to enter the temple until the military tells her she can.

(This was something I felt like I failed on the last time I ran HQ: describing one-roll-resolved scenes in a cool way. I tended to just gloss right over them. This time around, I fully intend to make physical scenes look as cool as possible, and want to encourage the Players to do the same. I want to lead by example.)

Warryt sneaks into Tarinum's office to hide some Draconic scrolls, to frame the scholar. In the process, he finds hidden scrolls revealing that Tarinum is, or was, a member of an outlawed faction, the Fellowship of the New Wane—a group of Lunar zealots that think the Empire is bringing the Lunar religion down. Warryt puts the New Wane scrolls in a place where someone could easily get them.

The next morning, Bevek's retainer Drum-Strike is in the kitchen, happily chomping away on whatever food he can find. Lady Cynasta comes in and confides in him that she is terribly upset over the death of her daughter. She is grateful to Bendrek, an old childhood friend, for letting her stay at his manor, rather than in her empty house. Drum-Strike goes and wakes his master and, using his Keep Master Appraised ability, informs Bevek that while they are close, Bendrek and Cynasta are not having an affair.

Alaerin gets up and leaves her tent, only to see Murzelm slipping out of Laxaerius' tent. She meets Laxaerius and asks him why Murzelm was leaving his tent so early, and Laxaerius gets rather defensive and evasive about it.

On his way to see Andikot, Warryt meets Alura, who seems to be coming from Andikot's quarters and seems to be in a bit of a hurry. She asks Warryt if he's seen Tarinum. When Warryt tells her he hasn't, she says she'll just go to Tarinum's quarters to get the scrolls they all need. Warryt gets to Andikot's quarters, and Andikot tells Warryt he's decided it's time to start bringing Warryt into the meetings. "Can I trust you to support me in recommending compromise with the military?" Andikot asks. Warryt replies, "Of course!"

Gwin appears outside the Temple and gets Alaerin's attention. "I need to speak to my brother, can you get him for me?" Alaerin, grumpily, agrees half-heartedly. But as she walks by the line of soldiers encircling the school, she hears a commotion ahead. She rushes forward and sees a group of soldiers with drawn scimitars threatening a group of students holding rocks in their hands. It's obvious the students have already thrown some rocks at the soldiers. Alaerin uses her authority to diffuse the situation before it gets out of hand, but Warryt sees what's happening. He walks up to the main soldier and slaps the man across the face for threatening the students. Warryt begins to walk back to the Temple as the soldier draws his sword and rushes the scholar. He swings, but Warryt whips around, his Dragon Dagger in his hand, and slashes the soldier's arm. Alaerin runs up and subdues Warryt (after a nice simple contest of wills), frog-marching the scholar off to see the Tribune.

Bevek gets to the Temple and sees Murzelm getting some scrolls from Gwin. Murzelm then walks off and into a tent with the scrolls. Bevek tries to get information from the soldiers standing guard, but they act dumb about the whole matter. Bevek goes to Krentius' tent just as Alaerin and Warryt get there. Alaerin briefly explains what Warryt did, Warryt trying to weasel out of it, but Krentius says he doesn't have time for this and orders Darscion to deal with it. Then he asks Bevek who he is and what he wants. "I'm BevekSoo of the MoraSoo Clan, and I believe I can help you."

--And we ended there. I really enjoyed the whole session. I was pleased with myself for being better at describing cinematically-cool fight scenes, especially as they were all simple contests decided in one roll. I loved how Mike poured on the Darjiini culture flourishes, like Bevek's "I don't see any infidelity" song and his "approach & introduce" chant & dance. Great stuff.
--josh