News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PDF size?

Started by Demonspahn, September 30, 2002, 05:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonspahn

Hi everyone.  Just wondering what the typical and/or optimal size of a rulebook PDF is.  Just got Dreamwalker converted and it measures a whopping 8.8 megs.  I would guess that's bad.  :)  Any tips for reducing the file size while retaining the content?

Thanks,

Pete

Adam

Depending on how many pages and how much art you have, it's probably pretty hefty, yes.

I'm dead tired and not up for doing an itemized list of things you can do to reduce PDF file size, but: What program are you using to make the PDFs? The prime way to cut down on size is to reduce the resolution of graphics and/or compress them more within the PDF file itself.

Also, the utility and method you use to make the files can change the file size drastically - files made with PDFMaker within MS Word, for example, are often huge.

Other threads that may have content of interest:

It's so...big
Problems with PDFs

mahoux

I can feel your pain.  KOTR2 originally clocked in at 10.1 MB, but by reducing the file size of graphics, I got it down to 6.1MB.

You can also check your setup for font downloading.  Are you embedding subset fonts or not, or are you embedding any fonts?  That can  make a difference as well, albeit not as drastic a difference.

aaron Houx
Taking the & out of AD&D

http://home.earthlink.net/~knahoux/KOTR_2.html">Knights of the Road, Knights of the Rail has hit the rails!

Demonspahn

Thanks guys.  I'll have someone take a look at the art to see if something can be done.  I don't have Adobe Writer myself and am having this done as opposed to doing it.  

Thanks again,

Pete