News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My TROS games

Started by Shadeling, March 09, 2004, 06:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadeling

As some of you may remember, I was running TROS games for sometime. They went well, but I decided to shelve them despite the stories being unfinished. To be honest, I am running D&D games in there place. There were a few things that made me seriously shelve the TROS games and I may go into detail about that in another message. Will I pick them up again...perhaps.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Edge

seems like a fairly pointless post really.
What are the reasons you have turned back to d&d?
I still like some aspects of d&d just that TROS is my favorite game at the moment :) (and i imagine for a long time to come)

Shadeling

Quote from: Edgeseems like a fairly pointless post really.
What are the reasons you have turned back to d&d?
I still like some aspects of d&d just that TROS is my favorite game at the moment :) (and i imagine for a long time to come)

Not pointless...It was just not informative. It was on topic-it was about TROS. I was just using this board for what it also is-a place to talk about well, TROS. I did just that. Not every post needs to be about a rule, or campaign idea. So I just wanted to sound off, and I did.

Reasons I went back to D&D...hmm, I really am not too sure... I will get back to you on that.

Malechi

Actually I'm keen to hear exactly why you're no longer playing TROS in favour of D&D (or any other system for that matter).  Obviously people change the games they play (we're playing standard Ars Magica sometime soon in between the games of TROS we're playing once a fortnight frex.. and we play InSpectres occasionally for some light-hearted fun).  Indeed, within my group there are a couple who aren't completely in love with the system (to my surprise) and who are considering using GURPS of all things for their own up-coming campaigns (I know I know.. i've tried ... god knows I've tried! ;) ) I also agree that the boards are here to comment on TROS etc, however I can't help but think that your post wasn't even that.  

Jason K.  (looking forward to your comments)
Katanapunk...The Riddle of Midnight... http://members.westnet.com.au/manji/

Dain

....whaaa? No details, no real information or opinions...of anything...presented in any fashion whatsoever...and when asked outright your response is "not sure"...but it's not pointless. Dictionary anybody?

Just teasing. Seriously though, if the guy went to the trouble to ask, he'd probably really like to know what you have to say. Kindof currious myself.

added edit:
Rats, someone beat me to the post! I have to learn to type faster I see!

Edge

Yeah i wasn't having a go at you dude.. sorry if it came accross as that.  Just when you say 'i'm not playing TROS any more goodbye' it seemed a little pointless.. unless that is you follow that up with a ... 'here are my problems with the game'

Lance D. Allen

I've also currently given up TRoS in favor of Shadowrun. Not forever; Just for now.

Part of my reasoning is that we have started playing BW on opposite weekends, and decided we wanted some a bit more sci-fi to counter it. Secondly, the TRoS game, while not exactly stagnating, is starting to get a bit slow. Some of this has had to do with players showing up, other parts have had to do with my own Seneschal style.

Other parts are because I want to use the mass combat rules from TFoB in upcoming portions of the game, so it's a delaying tactic.

We're going to go back to TRoS eventually. I love the game, I'm enjoying the campaign, so it's certainly not going to be forever.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Shadeling

Well some reasons for one of the TROS games I was running:

First-Lack of Mass Battle rules (invading Gols vs. Humans tends to have many participants)

Second-Though I like TROS SA's and how they work, running the games based around character SAs made me feel like the game was too coincidental if that makes any sense.

Dain

Thanks Shadeling. Nods. Makes sense on both issues. Not a real fan of the SA based experience myself to begin with, but hadn't considered the "recurring theme" effect yet (only played two games so far, and didn't have the SA list for everybody to the Seneschal yet so he was kindof winging it and we haven't really had time to notice yet). I like most everything else (that I've been able to remember and understand) in the system, but on my first read I was majorly turned off on it. It kindof grew on me as I re-read and re-read it. It became obvious fairly quickly that tons of thought went into it and it wasn't quite as unsurvivable as my initial gut reaction led me to believe. Haven't had anywhere near enough time in yet to start finding holes (that sound like they're being patched in TFOB anyhow for almost everything I have read in the forum thus far).

Jake Norwood

Shadeling-

Thanks for your post. I'd like to hear more, really, as the more I know, the more I can make future stuff better.

And, for the record, we're playing Sorcerer right now, not TROS.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

Hell, *I'm* playing TROS. The campaign is going bloody well, too.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Spartan

Quote from: Brian LeybourneHell, *I'm* playing TROS. The campaign is going bloody well, too.

We'll, I'm playing TROS this Sunday.  So nyah. :P  But I admit to being addicted to a small selection of rpgs (Hârn, Tekumel, TROS, Sorcerer, yadda yadda), and I like variety. :)  I think that TROS will be one of my mainstays for years to come, though.

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Tash

I'm trying to get my group to convert, but until I get the book and we can actually try the game out, we are playing 3.5 Edition D&D.  

I don't know how the conversion will go.  There is a lot of attachment to the D&D campaign because the characters are finally reaching "epic" status.  To some of us that's when the game gets fun, to others that's when the game gets silly (I'm in the later class).  Personally I'm looking forward to campaigns driven by SAs because I like conflicted, tormented characters.  My current character is a Half-Elf Ranger who is exhiled from his home on pain of death for being a werewolf.  Originally this was a big deal since I had to make continual checks to avoid turning when I didn't want to, possibly killing my friends, etc.  Now I'm high enough level that my saves make such checks irrelevant, so most of the drama has worn off.  Its more like "Hmmmm....do I need damage reduction for this fight?".  

I'm hoping the SA system allows things to stay more dramatic for longer, though I can see how eventually things might start to feel like a soap opera if every story hits the same recurring elements.  

On a related tangent: are there werewolves and other shapeshifters in TROS?
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: TashOn a related tangent: are there werewolves and other shapeshifters in TROS?

Yup, there are a number of shapechangers in "Of Beasts and Men" (the first suppliment), including werethings. Needless to say, we love 'em.

Obviously I'm biased, so take with as much salt as you like, but having played D&D and then TROS, TROS is a lot more fun, but much "lower powered" in terms of epic characters summoning dragons and suchlike. On the other hand, a starting sorcerer character in TROS is potentially a lot more powrerful than even an epic level mage in D&D, depending on how you play.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Tash

mmmmm....werethings.....I love em to.

I can't really say that TROS is more fun than anything because I haven't played it.  Still waiting for my damned book to show up.  If the first campaign goes well enough that my group decides to switch I will grab the OBAM expansion.  Untill then I guess I'll have to use my imagination for any werecritters I want to roll up.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"