News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Forge reads, watches, and listens

Started by Rich Forest, April 06, 2004, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Forest

What is the most recent:

Book you read?
Movie you watched?
Song you listened to?

You can feel free to just list 'em, or feel free to elaborate, but don't cheat. Don't go writing about something you liked more but didn't just read, watch, or listen to. It's gotta be the most recent. And I have Detect Lie memorized (do they still call it "memorization?"), just so you know I'm serious.

Here are my answers:

Book
Introduction to Functional Grammar, M.A.K. Halliday (The bible of my program: basically, I'm a grammarian.)

Movie
Ong-Bak (a kickass Thai martial arts movie from last year.)

Song
"A Little Less Conversation," Elvis Presley (the old version, not the remix)

Rich

Clinton R. Nixon

I like this game a lot.

Book
The Dreams Our Stuff Is Made Of, or How Science Fiction Conquered the World by Thomas Disch.

Movie
Groundhog Day. (I'd really never seen the whole movie.)

Song
"Boxcar" by Jawbreaker.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

joshua neff

Last actual book I read? Uh...I just read a Conan short story, "Iron Shadows in the Moon." Not one of the better ones, but good nonetheless. I'm very slowly working my way through the Iliad. But with grad school, I don't have time to devote myself fully to book-length stuff with any sort of "I'll finish this next week" dedication.

Last movie I saw: Hidalgo.

Last song I listened to: "Harold & Joe" by the Cure (from the b-sides & rarities box-set, Join the Dots).
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Alan

Book - She by H. Rider Haggard

Movie - Hellboy "Cut to the end; how do I kill it?"

Music - Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Rich Stokes

Ooooh, my go....

Book
Eastern Standard Tribe by Cary Doctorow. www.craphound.com/

Movie
Shaun of the Dead Best zombie film EVER!

Song
Subfusc part 1 by Tarmvred.[/quote]
The poster previously known as RichKS

Matt Machell

Book - Grunts, by Mary Gentle military satire, black humour, with orcs.

Film - Starsky and Hutch

Music Terrorvision - Regular Urban Survivors

Judd

Book

Last of the Templars -  Eh, didn't do much for me.

Movie

Hellboy - "Boom."

Song

Postcard from a Hooker in Minneapolis by Tom Waits

clehrich

Most recent, right?  Not actually liked?

Book
Carol F. Karlsen, The Devil in the Shape of a Woman, about witchcraft in colonial New England -- one of the rare very good feminist takes.

Movie
Godzilla, King of the Monsters.  Which I'd never actually seen.

Song
Billy Idol, "Nice Day for a White Wedding."  Well, you did say most recent.
Chris Lehrich

taalyn

Book

China Mieville, The Scar, Perdido Street Station
Storm Constantine, Wraeththu

Movie
That I actually paid attention to, Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. For fun, Akira

Song
How bout album instead?
Varttina, Ilmatar
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Simon W

Book: One of The Ellis Peters "Brother Cadfael" An Excellent Mystery

Film: American Beauty (it was on TV the other night)

Song: The Tea Party, Splendor Solis (if you've never heard of them check them out!).

Ben Terry

Hmm

The Last Book:

I am almost finished with this book called 'Rational Mysticism'.
It is OK-ish but not great or anything.

Last Completed Book I am pretty sure was 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula K. LeGuin

It was a great book

The Last Movie:

Hellboy-  I could see how comic fans would get some coolness from recognizing things, but IMO it was a bad bad movie.  I think it was because things like the romantic triangle and relationship with Hellboy's "father" didn't have time to develop, so it felt trite.

Last Song:

Wow, I am having a very hard time remembering....  I think it was that song by the Transplants that showed up in the hair care commercial, "Diamonds and Guns"  and if it wasn't that then it was that new-ish Brittany Spears song "Toxic"

W. Don

Hi all,

Most recent: Book = The Angel of Darkness, Caleb Carr. Movie = H.G. Wells' Time Machine (the recent remake). Song = Exodus, Bob Marley. Hm... I been making some pretty schizoid choices lately.

- W.

Paul Czege

Book
What is a book, anyway? Just last night I read Alex Robinson's indie-published comic, Tales of Action and Adventure Which Will Leave Your Senses Shattered #1 (that I bought this past weekend at the awesome http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm">Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo). The last thing with an ISBN on it...well, I read half of Valentine, by Lucius Shepard before putting it aside. Before that I read More Box Office Poison...all the way through :)

But the last thing that I read all the way through that was not a comic was Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again, by Dr. Drew Pinsky.

Movie
21 Grams

Song
AC/DC, Shoot to Thrill

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

jrs

Book:  (You do realize that I cannot give a straightforward answer to this one, right?)
Comics, Bigg time / Ty Templeton  (also trying to get through the latest Cerebus compilation and I just cannot get past Sim's attempt at exegesis)
Fiction, The Weight of water / Anita Shreve
Non-fiction, currently reading From the beast to the blonde : on fairy tales and their tellers / Marina Warner

Movie:  Hellboy

Song:  Am I born to die?  from the Cold Mountain soundtrack which is even now playing

Julie

GreatWolf

Um, let's see.

Book:  I just picked up Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe again.  Before that....let's see...I think that it was an e-book called Mel Gibson vs. the Media by Gary North.

Movie:  (I scratch my head.)  I'm desperately hoping that I've watched a movie since I partook of Lost Highway last week, but I can't think of anything since then.  My first time watching a David Lynch movie (with the exception of Dune)...and my last time.

Music:  Well, right now I'm listening to the goa-psy trance station on Digitally Imported, and the current track appears to be Battle of the Future Buddhas - Master of Deception

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown