News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My first experience with Universalis

Started by Andrew Morris, May 04, 2004, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

I had the chance to play Universalis this past weekend at A Gazebo of Games, a mid-size convention in Central New Jersey. The individual hosting the event (obviously, I can't say "GM") was Christopher Weeks. He gave the rest of the players a run down of the rules and overall concept.

I won't go into details, since Chris plans to take our game notes and provide a full write up at some point in the Actual Play forum. What I would like to discuss is my experience of actually playing Universalis for the first time.

Now, let me start off by saying that I've heard of GM-less games, and never thought they could actually work in practice. I've always been an advocate of the idea that the GM is the absolute authority in the game, whether I'm GM-ing or playing. It just seemed that was the best way to keep things moving, consistent, and orderly. Well, my experience shattered that concept. I was amazed to find that, not only did an interesting story evolve from the play session, but I actually cared about what was happening. Nor did Chris ever exert more authority than any other player (apart from the fact that he answered our rules questions, of course).

As the game began and we defined the world we would be setting the game in, I saw all my misgivings come to light. Four different people, five different ideas. How the heck were we supposed to create a good story involving a fantasy world where only women have magic, set in a jungle, with Amazons, prophetic cavemen, and an expansive empire with magical flying airships?

About fifteen minutes into the game, after we had decided on the world in which the story would be set, I began to see that the mechanics of the game actually did work, and a story did begin to develop. Still, it was too scattered and off-the-wall to really engage me.

About midway through the session, as things began to stabilize somewhat, with consistent places and characters,  I started thinking, "Okay, this is kinda cool. But some of these scenes don't make any sense in relation to each other."

Well, I got drawn further and further into the game, and at the point we realized we had only 15 minutes or so left, everyone began tying things together. Seemingly out of nowhere, a complex story of political machinations, hidden love, betrayal, and murder leapt into being. The players and I were struck with the sensation of, "Oh, so that's what it meant," as if there was some actual story that we had uncovered, instead of something we created out of nothing. "What?! The baby was the Amazon princess? The gun captain was actually the Prince? Oh my god, I never saw that coming! You mean the assassin was working with the ambassador? Wow!"

So, thanks to Ralph Mazza and Mike Holmes for creating such a revolutionary (to me, at least) game. I bought a copy of the rulebook and intend to rope everyone I can find into sticking it out through at least one session. If they're not hooked...wait, who am I kidding, of course they'll be hooked, this game rocks!

The only concern I have with Universalis is that it doesn't have a built-in mechanic for determining when the game is over. Of course, you can create such a mechanic, so that's not really a problem. Also, I don't know if I would call this a "role playing game." I think I'd go with "story telling game," instead. Whatever you call it, it's buckets of fun, all packed into a tiny 86-page rulebook.

In conclusion, Universalis = cool.

Oh, and does anyone know if I can get Universalis is some electronic format? I have some ideas about using a laptop to record game info, and having a searchable copy of the rulebook would be nice.
Download: Unistat

Bob McNamee

Using a computer to keep logs of Tenets, Characters, Locations and such is a great thing to do.

Its one of the advantages that we have with the indie-netgaming IRC play of Universalis. I usually keep a running list of what's being made, which is easy since I can copy and paste it as its bought to a text file for that game.

The other big advantage of IRC play is that the game itself is logged by the software we use (mIRC for me) so we can always easily review what happened last game (or even earlier).

An electronic version? Hmmm....might be handy here and there, but the rules are pretty simple after a game or two...not much to look up, except maybe the occassional Edge die or something.

I don't remember if Ralph has any Uni cheat sheets available on his website...you might make one that highlights the odd mechanical rule description if you need to.

It is a great game!

...we played a new game of it last night online with the netgamers.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Mike Holmes

Thanks for the endorsement, Andrew, for me this is all the reward I get for the game. :-)

Quote from: Andrew MorrisNor did Chris ever exert more authority than any other player (apart from the fact that he answered our rules questions, of course).
He is a good player, though, isn't he? :-)  I play with Chris on TUA (The Universalis Arena).

QuoteAbout fifteen minutes into the game, after we had decided on the world in which the story would be set, I began to see that the mechanics of the game actually did work, and a story did begin to develop. Still, it was too scattered and off-the-wall to really engage me.
Pretty common feeling. Though story does seem to form "out of nowhere" in reality the players do have to start thinking in terms of linking at some point or it doesn't happen on it's own. Fortunately with time constraints like you had, the effect you experienced occured and people start, as you say, "wrapping things up." Keep that in mind when you play at home or elsewhere - try to have some sonstraints in mind and discuss them with others (likely in Tenets).

QuoteOh my god, I never saw that coming! You mean the assassin was working with the ambassador? Wow!"
Truth be told we didn't know this was going to happen either when we made the game. It's an unexpected, but really neat feeling. Basically, you're not outguessing one GM, but as many as there are other players playing with you. So surprises are actually more common that in traditional play.

QuoteThe only concern I have with Universalis is that it doesn't have a built-in mechanic for determining when the game is over. Of course, you can create such a mechanic, so that's not really a problem.
There are some examples of exactly this sort of Gimmick at the web site.

QuoteAlso, I don't know if I would call this a "role playing game." I think I'd go with "story telling game," instead.
Actually we are in the habit of doing that for precisely the reasons that you state. I often start off demos saying, "Universalis is not a role-playing game, it's more of a collaborative storytelling game." :-)

But see the Player Character Gimmicks at the site, too!

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Andrew Morris

QuoteHe is a good player, though, isn't he? :-) I play with Chris on TUA (The Universalis Arena).

Yes, I neglected to add that Chris added a great deal of interesting twists and turns to the game. Also, could I get a link to TUA? Sounds like something I might want to try out (never played on online game before).

Oh, and if it's not inappropriate to ask on this forum, how the heck to I get my quotes to say "Mike Holmes wrote:" and such?

ScottM

Quote from: Andrew MorrisOh, and if it's not inappropriate to ask on this forum, how the heck to I get my quotes to say "Mike Holmes wrote:" and such?
When you start your response by hitting the quote button at the top right of the message you're quoting, it fills in the name and quotes the whole message. Clip out what you're not commenting on and viola.

Here's the link to The Universalis Arena that you requested.

Hope you enjoy many more fine days of Universalis,
Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Valamir

QuoteOh, and if it's not inappropriate to ask on this forum, how the heck to I get my quotes to say "Mike Holmes wrote:" and such?

You can also type {quote="somebody"} (replaceing the squiggly brackets with square) and it will fill in the "wrote" part.

QuoteWell, I got drawn further and further into the game, and at the point we realized we had only 15 minutes or so left, everyone began tying things together. Seemingly out of nowhere, a complex story of political machinations, hidden love, betrayal, and murder leapt into being.

That is pretty much how every game of Uni I've ever played has gone.

The first 1/3 to 1/2 is brainstorming up lots of stuff, maybe a few long term plans that are highly liquid, and a good bit of genre and sillyness patroling (establishing Fact and Tenets and judicious use of Challenges) to keep the game within boundaries (of course, everyone doing this has slightly different boundaries so that's where Negotiation and Challenge come it).

Then at some point...*boink* (as Ron might say), it all just becomes clear (to somebody) where the story needs to go.

I think pretty much every human being on the planet comes from a pretty story rich environment.  Whether its family oral tradition, or TV and hollywood, or classic literature people seem to have an innate sense of narrative structure.

At somepoint people just start weaving things together, unprompted, and often in ways I'd never have thought of myself (which is where the real suspense of the game comes from).  In every demo I've ever run with perfect strangers this happened somewhere.  Its usually the moment where I end the demo, because that's the "oh wow" moment.

Tony Irwin

Quote from: Andrew MorrisWell, I got drawn further and further into the game, and at the point we realized we had only 15 minutes or so left, everyone began tying things together. Seemingly out of nowhere, a complex story of political machinations, hidden love, betrayal, and murder leapt into being. The players and I were struck with the sensation of, "Oh, so that's what it meant," as if there was some actual story that we had uncovered, instead of something we created out of nothing. "What?! The baby was the Amazon princess? The gun captain was actually the Prince? Oh my god, I never saw that coming! You mean the assassin was working with the ambassador? Wow!"

Sounds like an amazing session! Did the whole group just seem to "gel" with the game the way you did? Occasionally people claim that their game of Universalis devolved into a competition for coins, did anyone in your group seem that way inclined?

Tony

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Tony IrwinSounds like an amazing session! Did the whole group just seem to "gel" with the game the way you did? Occasionally people claim that their game of Universalis devolved into a competition for coins, did anyone in your group seem that way inclined?
Tony

Well, of course there were some differences of opinion, but everything was handled through Negotiation -- Challenges never went further than that. I certainly don't think it became a competition for coins at any point. This might have been because all but one of the players (Chris) had never played Universalis before. Maybe if we'd all been used to it, we would have made stronger or more frequent Challenges. I know I probably would have been more vigorous about averting potential problems, like consistent naming practices, when I saw them starting.

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Tony IrwinSounds like an amazing session! Did the whole group just seem to "gel" with the game the way you did? Occasionally people claim that their game of Universalis devolved into a competition for coins, did anyone in your group seem that way inclined?

It was amazing.  I've enjoyed every game of Uni that I've done, but I honestly think that this one clicked in a way that the others have missed.

I was the only one playing the system for Coins.  I tried to illustrate how to do so by Complicating when it wasn't strictly needed and by encouraging the players to draw on more dice, but the group was really good at projecting an ethos of plausibility and we saw everyone negotiating with themselves (and others) which traits would make sense to draw upon.

I have three Uni games to post recapitualtions of, I just need to find the time.

And Andrew, please do check out The Universalis Arena and let us know if you have any questions.

Chris

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Christopher WeeksIt was amazing.  I've enjoyed every game of Uni that I've done, but I honestly think that this one clicked in a way that the others have missed.

I was the only one playing the system for Coins.  I tried to illustrate how to do so by Complicating when it wasn't strictly needed and by encouraging the players to draw on more dice, but the group was really good at projecting an ethos of plausibility and we saw everyone negotiating with themselves (and others) which traits would make sense to draw upon.

Yeah, it was cool that we could all work with each other. I see how the game would be different if everyone was competing instead of cooperating. Not sure if it would be more or less enjoyable, just different. What exactly do you mean by "playing for Coins?" Is that, as you mention, creating Complications where they aren't really needed in order to gain more coins? If so, my reason for not doing this was just simplicity. When Lady Hightree was tossed from the deck of the airship, I could have (if I understand the rules correctly) created a Complication involving her trying to survive while crashing through the jungle canopy below. But, like I said, it just seemed easier to pay the Coins necessary to take control of her and narrate the events. I didn't really want to slow things down at that point.

Quote from: Christopher WeeksI have three Uni games to post recapitualtions of, I just need to find the time.

Well, can't wait to see it when you do write it up, Chris. I've already forgotten most of the twists and turns. By the way, thanks for bringing this game to the convention, I had a great time playing.

Quote from: Christopher WeeksAnd Andrew, please do check out The Universalis Arena and let us know if you have any questions.

Uhm, yeah...I checked it out, and my only question is -- huh? How do you do anything? For example, it says to join, just add your name to the list...but there's no place to do that. Maybe I'm just being dense, or maybe I just haven't checked the site out thoroughly enough.

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Andrew MorrisUhm, yeah...I checked it out, and my only question is -- huh? How do you do anything? For example, it says to join, just add your name to the list...but there's no place to do that. Maybe I'm just being dense, or maybe I just haven't checked the site out thoroughly enough.

Thanks!  It's good to note, totally after the fact, that joining is completely unintuitive.  I've added a blurb to the front page that should get you started.  Even so, it will seem mildly overwhelming for a little while.  But it really does get easy quite fast.

Chris

Andrew Morris

Chris-

Yeah, that blurb helped. I'm still in the "overwhelmed" stage, though. I'll be getting into it as soon as I get the hang of the wiki.

Bob McNamee

Watch for a bit till you are comfortable then jump on in. We're happy to answer questions in the Questions area.

If all else fails, the city of Hope will be transitioning to a new Shard June 1st...but don't wait till then unless you are really confused :)
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

Mike Holmes

Let's not drift this thread too far off track. Any more about TUA can go to a new thread, or PM.

Andrew, anything more you'd like to discuss about that first game?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Mike HolmesAndrew, anything more you'd like to discuss about that first game?

Nope, you're right, it's time for this thread to end. Sorry about that.