News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

die mechanic

Started by frictorious, May 08, 2004, 08:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frictorious

I originally posted this to Game Design, but I've posted it here since I've learned that Theory is a better place for it.

I have a couple of die mechanics I want to try for a game I wish to make (I keep changing my mind on exact premise, theme, setting, etc.), so I am trying to decide on something that will appeal most to those that will be using it (probably just me and those I game with). While I would very much like to publish an RPG, that is not my goal here.
Characters have 8 primary Attributes (pretty usual stuff) rated 1-10, from which are derived several Abilities rated 1-5. These are what are typically used for most skill checks, and include things like Fighting, Aim, Manipulation, Repair, Endurance, etc. The rating determines which die is rolled:
1=D4, 2=D6, 3=D8, 4=D10, 5=D12
The number of dice rolled is equal to the skill rank (based mostly on experience), and the highest die is the one that matters. All checks are done with opposed rolls, Take Highest.
I'm working on some other rules for things like multiple actions, determining how many and what type die to roll for what are usually "static tests" (like climbing a wall, or fixing a machine), adding extra bonuses for special abilities/talents, and penalties for wounds or flaws.
Anyway, what my big question is, what type of play do you think this die mechanic will best represent or simulate? I'm looking for things like Gritty, Cinematic, Fast, Complex, Clunky, etc. Mabey even GNS references.
I know that coming up with a system first and setting and premise later isn't the best way to go about making a game, but I'm better with what I consider the analytical stuff (game mechanics) than the creative stuff (setting, premise, etc.)
I think that it will play quickly because on each character sheet will be stated what type and how many die to roll with each skill.  So players will just have to look at say the Pistol skill, which will say something like 3D10, roll those dice and take the highest.
I'm assuming that there's some folks here with experience with Take Highest mechanics, all opposed checks, or mechanics using different sized die for task resolution. Many of you will probably detect influences from Silhouette and Jadeclaw (although I've read about them, I've never played or even owned either). If more information is needed, or better explanation please ask.
Thanks in advance,
-Craig

timfire

Quote from: frictoriousAnyway, what my big question is, what type of play do you think this die mechanic will best represent or simulate? I'm looking for things like Gritty, Cinematic, Fast, Complex, Clunky, etc. Mabey even GNS references.
I've already posted some of my thoughts in your Indie Design thread, but I thought I would address this question here.

You can't really evaluate a system based solely on an isolated mechanic. (That's probably one of the reasons you haven't gotten more responses.) Combinations of mechanics and techniques might suggest a type of game better than others, but you can really go anywhere from the mechanic you suggested above.

Do you have any other mechanics in mind, or is this all you've worked out yet?
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Mike Holmes

What Tim said.

Also, other games to check out would be The Window, and a design that was in progress here a long time ago called Dreamspire.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.