News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Icebreaker RPGs

Started by quozl, May 07, 2004, 02:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quozl

An icebreaker, for those unfamiliar with the term, is an activity done among people who want to get to know each other better.  Often, some type of game is used.  I designed an icebreaker RPG for the Son of Iron Game Chef competition.  Please read it and then let me know what you think.

Specifically, does it make a good icebreaker activity?  (This isn't about the game design which is why I put it in RPG Theory.  I'm using my design as an example and starting point to explore the theory of using RPGs as icebreakers.) What would be a better way to implement an icebreaker activity?  (For example, timing is very important and I think my design probably takes too long.)

What makes a good icebreaker?  What makes an RPG a good choice for an icebreaker?  What games have you previously used as icebreakers and how successful were they?
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Andrew Morris

Quote from: quozlSpecifically, does it make a good icebreaker activity?  (This isn't about the game design which is why I put it in RPG Theory.  I'm using my design as an example and starting point to explore the theory of using RPGs as icebreakers.) What would be a better way to implement an icebreaker activity?  (For example, timing is very important and I think my design probably takes too long.)

I think this would work as an icebreaker...for gamers, at least. I'm not sure if non-gamers would get into it or not. I'm trying to imagine a bunch of stuffed suits playing, and my creativity fails.

Quote from: quozlWhat makes a good icebreaker?  What makes an RPG a good choice for an icebreaker?  What games have you previously used as icebreakers and how successful were they?

I haven't played too many icebreakers in my life, but the ones that seem to work best are the ones that cause all participants at least some mild embarrassment, especially when the other participants are responsible for somehow ending their embarrassment. Just my two cents.
Download: Unistat

quozl

Good points, Andrew!  I do think a different theme would work better for the stuffed suits.  Maybe even a corporate takeover theme.

I think the embarrasing moments which are then ended by the other players is key.  Any ideas on how to do this in an RPG?
--- Jonathan N.

Andrew Morris

Hey, the corporate theme sounds like it could work. In fact, you could just change the theme of the game, while keeping it functionally the same. Instead of trying to become king, all the players are trying to become CEO, instead of monsters, they face business challenges, etc.

As for how to embarrass the players, I guess you could do that in many ways. Really depends on the people, I suppose. Whatever it is, it should apply to everyone. Maybe at every point when they receive a "wound" or whatever you would call it in the corporate version, they have to stand at the front of the room and call out "help, help" until another player can come up with some description that "rescues" them. Something like that, maybe. I don't really know, I'll give it some further thought.
Download: Unistat

BPetroff93

Are we talking about icebreakers for a group of gamers or a group of predominatly non-gamers or a mixed group?

I think for non-gamers the adventures of Baron Munchhousen, for gamers..maybe Orkworld but anything should do and for mixed...I dunno something easy to learn and not too deep.
Brendan J. Petroff

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Love is the law, love under Will.

quozl

I'm talking about icebreakers for everyone.

Baron Munchausen is a good icebreaker for people who know who Baron Munchsen is.  The problem with it is that it's "not a game for dullards" or people who can't come up with funny stories at the drop of a hat.  That is why I structured my icebreaker RPG so that only small bits of imagination are required at each moment.

I'm not familiar with Orkworld.  What do you think makes it a good icebreaker?
--- Jonathan N.

xiombarg

I think my recent IGC game would make a good icebreaker for any group where you're interested in discussion the issues of good and evil...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Trevis Martin

SOAP is a good icebreaker.  Its lightheated.  Almost everyone understands Soap opera style melodrama,  not just gamer types. It is played for a limited amound of time. (an hour to 90 mins.)

I kinda like Sq3am also, because a lot of people understand (and laugh at) the teen horror movie genre.

Accessability to the subject matter is important for an Icebreaker I guess is what I'm saying. Sci fi and Fantasy can be kind of 'out there' for a lot of non gamers especially.

Trevis

M. J. Young

I haven't tried it yet, but I think I would list Matchmaker.

It's accessible, works in one-shot play (as I understand the term), and is rather low-impact--closer to twenty questions in many ways.

--M. J. Young