News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Various rules bits

Started by Dr_Pete, June 02, 2004, 02:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr_Pete

Hi,

I've got a couple of sticky questions about rules bits.  I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, so please forgive any mistakes.

1) Movement -- The discussion of movement rules are a bit unclear to me.  In the combat chapter, it discusses switching from yards per round to feet per round, but in the other section, it talks about movement being in feet per round.  There is also a suggestion that movement be done on a hex grid, with each hex equalling a yard.  A trivial question, maybe, but if you're on a yard/hex grid, and you are moving, say 5 feet/round (or 2.5/exchange) how do you handle this?  I can come up with ways (tables for which exchange one can move a hex in, representing built up feet of movement, for example) but this seems kind of cumbersome.  The simplest thing to do is to make combat rounds 3 times as long, and make everything in yards, but this doesn't seem to be the intent.

Also, to clarify, when it says that one "must" move a certain amount in the combat section, this is saying divide movement into first and second exchange, rather than a rule saying that people in combat shift around, and we should shift around at least this much, right?

2) Multiple opponents-- in the rules, it says that one is considered to be moving fast when attacking and moving normally when defending.  If one is defending against multiple opponents, however, there's no target number for facing only one of them at a time.  Should we read the columns for hurried and sprinting as defending and attacking?

3) Fatigue-- There are several sources of fatigue listed- a few combat rounds, several minutes of strenuous exertion (if I remember correctly), and missed sleep.  There are also several ways of recovering fatigue... resting a few seconds (potentially recovers several fatigue), sitting down for half an hour (recovers one fatigue), and sleeping for a night (recovers all fatigue).  Are there several different kinds of fatigue? There are clearly at least two kinds--  missed sleep and other, but it seems like there's windedness, weariness, and tiredness types of fatigue each of which recovers in different ways.  Am I misreading something, or is this intentional?

Dr Pete

Caz

1.  First of all, your character doesn't HAVE to do it, but if you're using a hex grid and he moves less than 1 yard, just don't sweat it.  You can't be too picky about lines and numbers I think.  Either shuffle him around in the same hex, move him halfway into another hex, and just set him in the other hex.  It's not really meant to be an anally retentive minis game.  Keep it a little abstract.

2.  Weather defending or attacking, use the same table.

3.  Intentional.  There are several ways to get fatigued, but they're all effectively the same and cumulative.  Don't write down seperate fatigue points.  Fatigue is fatigue.

Prince of Thieves

1)I wouldn't worry to much about the movement problem, like Caz said try to keep it abstract. Just decide on something simple, that you're comfortable with. I do however understand your confusion, in Chapter 1 it defines Move as # of yards moved in a combat round(1-2 seconds) and later on it tells you during combat reduce Move to # of feet moved per round. The rule of movement during battle it is there to remind us that the cambatants aren't just standing toe to toe swinging at one another but moving back and forth in the melee.

Heres how I resolve terrian difficults in combat, >= 1/2 move is hurried;  =move is sprinting.

2) ONLY the defender allots dice to the maneuver to avoid multiple oppents. Success means he only has to fight the one he wants (with-in reason) use the difficult for how much he can move. Open area, like a field allow him to Sprint (lower Dif.) tighter quaters like on the deck of a ship maybe, force him to roll vs the Hurried #(higher Dif)

3) The fatigues are cumulative of course but they are NOT the same, nor are they recovered the same. As you noticed Dr_Pete the rules state that lack of sleep can only be recovered by a full 8 hours. Hours of hard work slowly tire the character but fatigue can be recovered by a brief rest of 30 minutes (per point). Lastly in combat fatigue is not gather by "long" periods of work but by short fierce moments of extreme action, I count every round engaged towards fatigue (remeber every EN or ENx2 rnds the combatants get a fatigue point), 4 pauses allows a recover roll and clears the tally, the bladeslingers take the seconds to catch thier breathe and such.

Hope that helps Dr_Pete.
Ironic humor dragged down all the twilight minarets he reared, and the earthy fear of improbability blasted all of the delicate and amazing flowers in his feary gardens.
-H.P. Lovecraft, The Silver Key