News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions about beat maneuver

Started by aaronharmon, June 16, 2004, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronharmon

Is the beat maneuver, as written, way more effective than just about any other maneuver in the system? You lose 2CP per margin point AND can't use the weapon to defend.
Bind and Stike is just 1 CP per margin.
I am working on running my first ROS game and just want to avoid any big stumbling blocks.

Tash

As far as I know its correct.  Think of it this way:

With a bind the weapon is being held, but is still in the general region of the fight.  The target looses some control but could stil get the weapon between themselves and another attack.

With a beat the weapon has been knocked way out to the side leaving your opponent completely open for at least one exchange.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Jake Norwood

Quote from: aaronharmonIs the beat maneuver, as written, way more effective than just about any other maneuver in the system? You lose 2CP per margin point AND can't use the weapon to defend.
Bind and Stike is just 1 CP per margin.
I am working on running my first ROS game and just want to avoid any big stumbling blocks.

BUT you can only use it at the beginning of a fight or after a pause, which may not be that often in many fights.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Tash

Oh yeah, I forgot that part!  Its kind of hard to beat a sword that is actually swinging at your head at that particular instant....
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Jake Norwood

Yup--when you do that, it's called a parry.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

aaronharmon

Yeah, duh! I forgot the 'only after a pause' part. Didn't have my book with me.