News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

HeroQuest for convention games

Started by MikeSands, August 04, 2004, 06:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeSands

Hi

I'm coming up to running a HeroQuest game at a convention, and I've found my two playtest groups both a bit overwhelmed by the mechanics.

I'm trying to keep things simple, with the instuctions:
1. Pick your base rating to use
2. Add augments from anything you can apply (I have the augment values as well as ratings on the character sheets).
3. If you have gone over 20 then work out how many masteries you have.

However, this still seems a bit much for people to take in for a one-off.

Anyone have any experience doing the same thing? If so, any good advice about explaining the system in five minutes?

I'm also avoiding extended contests completely, as that's a whole extra set of rules to explain.

simon_hibbs

I've run HQ in this kind of situation twice, once at a conventiona and once as a one off at a games club. I avoided extended contests too, but didn't have any serious problems explaining the basic mechanics for simple contests. They're pretty simple compared to the basic mechanics of most commercial RPGs.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

Mike Holmes

First, I agree with Simon, that this isn't really a lot to learn. I've taught it in five minutes, and people do fine.

That said, if you really want to cut things down, do the mastery calculations yourself, and check the charts yourself. Just announce the results. So all they have to do is add augments to a base ability. Seems pretty darn simple to me.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.