News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Demon's Need

Started by greyorm, January 14, 2005, 01:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyorm

So, I was crusing through the old Pokemon Sorcerer thread on RPG.net looking for something else, and someone brought up how reducing one's Humanity to 0 might warp the sorcerer into a demon themselves (or a Pokemon, in this case).

That thought did give me an interesting perspective on demon Needs and Desires, ala a sorcerer so obsessed with "What He Wants" that he allows his Humanity to drop to 0 and becomes a demon, which exist to serve others rather than its self (ie: they must or they do not exist -- that is the whole point of Summonings and Bindings, after all)...and yet they have the burning Need that drove them to destroy their Humanity still screaming inside them, but now unable to act on it without doing so "in service" to others, while (ostensibly) in service to the Need of this other, the sorcerer who summoned them.

Thinking about it like that is just creepy as all heck, "What do you want, master? Might I suggest something, master? Of course, master! {HAHAHAHA...now what I want is MINE!}"
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Hi Raven,

Zactly. This is the kind of thing I was hoping people would come up with for the game. Or more clearly, anything like this. It's not like I had it specifically in mind.

The transformation-to-demon rules in The Sorcerer's Soul are an attenuated version of the same idea, permitting a more nuanced approach, if that's what people are interested in doing.

Best,
Ron

greyorm

Yep. It just never..."clicked" until now, for whatever reason.

Needs and Desires were always one of the most problematic points of Sorcerer for me: creating them, using them, just making sense of them (and I've heard enough between here and RPG.net to know I'm not the only one who has struggled in dealing with them in-game).

The above insight, even bereft of the idea that demons were once Sorcerers, really helps me wrap my head around those traits from a meaningful perspective. Should help me run the demons much better.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio