News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Appropriate topic for the Forge?

Started by Andrew Morris, January 15, 2005, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

Hey, I was uncertain if it would be appropriate to start a "Who's going to Dreamation 2005?" thread. I'd like to know who's going to be there, so I can arrange to meet some posters -- just connecting faces to names, you know?

Anyway, would that topic be acceptable here, and if so, which forum should it be posted in?
Download: Unistat

TonyLB

This is probably more appropriate in "Conventions".  I'll point you to the Indie Games Explosion thread there, which is all about Dreamation2005.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Best thing to do when you're unsure to post a thread here is to ask me.

Also, please note the Sticky in the Conventions forum, which outlines the focus there. "Hey, who's going" is not a good topic. See if you can cast your interest in Dreamation into another form.

Best,
Ron

Lxndr

Would it be out of place in Connections?
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Yeah, it would be out of place there too. The Forge is not a message board or a social-services board. The Connections forum is about concrete services, not hangin' out or planning get-togethers without stated purposes.

Regarding meeting people at conventions specifically, though, I don't think it's asking too much to frame a post in the Conventions forum in accordance with the guidelines there. Those guidelines are extremely constructive, and in my view, if you can't re-cast the post according to them, there really wasn't much reason to ask "who's going" in the first place.

Best,
Ron

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Ron EdwardsRegarding meeting people at conventions specifically, though, I don't think it's asking too much to frame a post in the Conventions forum in accordance with the guidelines there.

What I'm getting here is that it's not kosher if it's just "who's going".  But if you plan a gathering, even an informal one, for "Forgites/others to meet and discuss indie games in an informal workshop environment"*, then that's kosher. Or if you plan a gaming session or other "event" or "item with an agenda".

-Andy

* "Drink beers and bitch about D&D" :-)
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Ron Edwards

Andy's right. It's about constructive activity of some kind - by posting a new thread in Conventions or Connections, you are committing to success in that activity.

Best,
Ron

Andrew Morris

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't planning any sort of event, I just wanted to find out who would be there and arrange to meet them, so the topic would not be appropriate.

My questions have been answered. In the future I will message you, Ron, rather than starting a new thread.
Download: Unistat