News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Banthas in the Vineyard, Redux

Started by Vaxalon, February 13, 2005, 12:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

Yep!

You remember the movies better than I do.

-Vincent

TonyLB

I don't think the Light Side can play other people's fears.  I mean... that's why they're the Light Side.  They can face their own fears though, right?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

TonyLB

Or... oh merciful heavens.

Whatever the Dogs... ahem, Jedi... whatever they do, that's what the Light Side is, right?

Errgggggh.... head... hurting.

It is a sign of my geekiness that I have no problem with a game where players might portray God as vindictive, spiteful and cruel, but my brain almost explodes when you offer to put Yoda in the same position.

Vaxalon

In the other Banthas thread, folks mention several places where Obi-Wan, Luke, and other Lightsiders commit acts that could be construed as mean, evil, or at the very least callously dismissive of human suffering.

But for DitV, that's not a problem.

They're following the Force.

In some writings, there was something of a schism in the lightside Jedi long before Phantom Menace; the two sides were "Living Force" and "Universal Force"... Qui-Gon is pretty much the last practitioner of the former, which took a much more practical, moment-to-moment view of the force than the Council did.

It is important to note that Obi-Wan, Anikin, and Luke are all products, at least in part, of Qui-Gon's teaching.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Vaxalon

Okay, I think the topic of Ceremony has been adequately covered, now that I understand ceremony better.

I don't think character creation needs much in the way of changes.

I had an inspiration for the element to put in place of the coat though...

The droid.

Now not all jedi have a droid companion.  There wasn't one in Phantom Menace, and in New Hope, Obi-wan says, "I don't think I've ever owned a droid."  Since my campaign will be set in post-KOTOR Old Republic, though, I think I can be allowed a bit of license on that regard.

So instead of being told to describe their coat (and give it a rating) the jedi will describe a companion droid.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Vaxalon
I had an inspiration for the element to put in place of the coat though...

The droid.

The droid?

Clinton now has to write up his own Jedi DitV game. 'Cause coat = lightsaber in every shape, form, or fashion I can think of.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Vaxalon

Okay, then what replaces the character's description of his gun?

The character creation system asks for the coat AND the gun.
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Starship?

I'm with Clinton:  The lightsaber is the essential symbol of Jedi-ness and authority.  It's what shows that they're jedi.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: VaxalonOkay, then what replaces the character's description of his gun?

The character creation system asks for the coat AND the gun.

Ultimately, I think that mapping DitV one-to-one with Jedi will fail. Interpreting, however, can make some neat stuff.

How interesting is it that in this version, the sign of office, the hand-crafted gift that separates men from Jedi, is also the weapon of judgment? What does that say about Jedi?

See? The answers, whatever they are, are interesting.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Vaxalon

Okay, I can see that, you're entirely right...

But droids definitely need to be in the picture.

It's not Star Wars without a droid.

I mean, how cool was HK-74, meatbag?

Yeah, and starships too.  Starships, especially personalized ones like the Millennium Falcon, should go on the character sheet.

Maybe this is something that needs to be part of a shared character creation... each player takes one or two dice from his own character creation, and assigns it to some aspect of the droid or the starship that the group shares.
                                     --Vincent Baker

lumpley

I'm just here snickering because I can write "C3P0, crap: 1d4" on my character sheet.

Does anything in Star Warsville get the bonus d4 that guns get?

-Vincent

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: lumpley
Does anything in Star Warsville get the bonus d4 that guns get?

D00d. Lightsabers. Lightsabers get everything.

Darth Maul is the only guy with a 2d8+1d4 saber, though, I think.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

lumpley

Y'know, I'd dismissed giving lightsabers the d4 as something that would make lightsabers too interesting. Now I'm like - whoa, giving lightsabers that d4 makes them really interesting.

Clinton obviously owns this conversation.

-Vincent

Vaxalon

Oh, yeah.  When the lightsabers come out, SOMEONE is going to be hurtin'.  Gotta have that d4.

Darth Maul's lightsaber is clearly both excellent and big.  2d8+1d4.

Bastila, in KOTOR, also carries a double lightsaber, by the way.

An "ordinary" lightsaber is just excellent, 2d6+1d4.

A jedi could choose to carry one that's substandard, 1d6+1d4.

It would have to be regularly malfunctioning to be 1d4+1d4.

The option exists in KOTOR to carry two lightsabers... What do you think, make it 3d6+1d4 for the pair, 3d6+2d4 for one ordinary, one substandard, or 2d6+1d4 for each, for a total of 4d6+2d4, or just leave it up to the player?

And do I have your permission to defenestrate anyone who mentions "midichlorians" on their character sheet?
                                     --Vincent Baker

Doug Ruff

Quote from: VaxalonThe option exists in KOTOR to carry two lightsabers... What do you think, make it 3d6+1d4 for the pair, 3d6+2d4 for one ordinary, one substandard, or 2d6+1d4 for each, for a total of 4d6+2d4, or just leave it up to the player?

Each lightsaber should get it's full bonus, and especially the extra D4.

And isn't a Jedi's cloak/robes the equivalent of a Coat in Dogs? If a Jedi doesn't want to wear one, then I say no bonus for that Jedi.

If I recall correctly, a Jedi has to make his own lightsaber (which means it's perfectly possible to have a crap one). But what about robes?

Starships should be part of Belongings, just like a horse.

Nothing stopping a droid from being part of Belongings, for that matter, if you're OK with the whole droid-slavery thing.
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'