News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Confusions - Demon Abilities and 'Drawn Contests'

Started by Gethyn, March 30, 2005, 07:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelfromanotherpin

Well, under 'sabertooth' rules, it seems to me that a 1-die roll against a large number of dice is likely to be penalized for a 'high' result.  

On 6-sided dice, under sabertooth:

6 vs 654321 = 5 successes for B
5 vs 654321 = 1 success for B

Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if one isn't attached to the highest possible die result as being 'special,' but it can seem unintuitive.

Personally, I'm fonder of the mechanic that if a single die succeeds, it's a 'total success' allowing for very cool comebacks and reversals.
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"
"What if angels from another pin engaged them in melee combat?"

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Angel-etc, I think you're muddying the waters a little ... even though, yes, your example is correct, you're bringing up a completely different issue now.

The new issue (totally unrelated to anything discussed so far in the thread) is that if a person rolling a single die wins - so we're not talking about ties at all - it's Total Victory.

That's a feature of the system which works very well in play, and acts as yet another reason why rolling a single die carries some special weight in the game that you don't see otherwise.

However, the current topic at hand isn't talking about that at all. We're talking about when the person rolling the single die loses, but his die ties with the winner's highest die.

Everyone realizes, I hope, that sabertooth merely means abandoning the special rule for single-die ties and treating those rolls just as you would for any roll, as written?

Best,
Ron