News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Veto ability use

Started by Jonas Ferry, March 29, 2005, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas Ferry

Hello,

My first post on The Forge and all. So, I just bought Capes and plan to play the first session on Friday. One question is if there's a way for players to veto inappropriate use of abilities. Since the points where players can veto are clearly stated otherwise, and since it's a "competitive cooperative" game, is there a way within the game to stop someone from using "Throw stuff" to drive a car, or do you have to have an out of game discussion of what's fair use and what's not?

In a regular game you could just let them use the ability or not, it doesn't matter that much, but here two or more sides depend on the outcome of the conflict.

- Jonas
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

TonyLB

There is no way to stop someone from using "Throw stuff" to drive a car.  Nor do I think that any out-of-game discussion is warranted, beyond (possibly) "Wow, that's cool!  Where does throwing stuff come into driving a car?"  Abilities are meant to inspire creativity, not to place a strait-jacket on what you can do.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Jonas Ferry

Ahh, thanks, I think you saved some discussions on Friday. It's like the opposite of looking at your abilities and thinking what you can do with them, and I think you're right in players getting more creative by thinking that way.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Vaxalon

"I throw myself to the side, swerving to try to throw Doctor Pipewrench's evil villains off my tail.  I then throw the car into fourth gear, accelerating madly down the straightaway between fourth avenue and Jetboy street.    I then throw the switch in the Incredimobile that fires the jump jets, launching us over a huge construction site."

:)

Just gotta get creative.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

LordSmerf

Which brings us back to my all-time personal favorite: "Ignore the pain"...

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible