News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Changes to the turn order to facilitate message board play

Started by Vaxalon, April 01, 2005, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

I've got such an incredible jones to play this game, I'm considering trying to start a PbP game of it... but because there are so many times when play depends on one player taking his turn, it would go very slowly.

(some message boards have embedded dice servers)

So here's some changes to make it run faster.

1>The turn order is determined by the order of taking first actions.  One player sets the scene, takes his action, and narrates the entry of his character to the scene.  The next player to post becomes player two, the next player three, etc.
2> When it's your turn to take an action, you have 24 hours to post.   If you don't, your turn is skipped, and the next person in the turn order can take an action.  
3> Once you take your action, the clock resets; everyone else has 24 hours to either post a reaction to your action, or post that they're not reacting.  Once all players have taken their reactions or refused them, or the 24 hour clock runs out, the clock starts on the next player's chance to take his action.
4> Reactions to an action do not have to come in turn order.  First come, first served.  If two posts are crossposted, the one that arrives second is invalidated.
5> After the last action is completed, a claiming phase starts.  This is also first-come first-served.  One everyone has either claimed a conflict or declared that they won't, or 24 hours passes, then the turn order advances (first becomes last, everyone else advances one) and it becomes the first player's turn.

What do you think?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jonas Ferry

Quote from: VaxalonWhat do you think?
I'm thinking about who'll narrate the outcome of conflicts. Ok, the first person taking an action can narrate based on how the dice fall, but others will have to narrate their own failures. There's nothing wrong with that, you just have to be clear that the And-Then rule is ivalidated.

I don't see any place for resolving conflicts. That has to be done after everyone have taken actions but before the next claiming phase. Is that another 24-hour block? Sometimes you need the resolve phase, at other times you don't, so it would either always be a time set apart for it or only used when actually resolving.

Would people keep their own character sheets? How do you know how much people have staked?
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Vaxalon

As far as character sheets are concerned, in most PBP games there's another thread where they're maintained.  This board is odd, in that you can't edit a post you made more than a short time ago; on most boards, you can edit indefinitely.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Vaxalon

Narrations are a part of the play which triggers it; if a conflict resolves, the person who has the right to narrate it does so.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jonas Ferry

Quote from: VaxalonNarrations are a part of the play which triggers it; if a conflict resolves, the person who has the right to narrate it does so.
I don't think I understand. You wrote:

"5> After the last action is completed, a claiming phase starts."

Between the last action ends (the page ends) and the claiming starts (the new page starts) you would have to give players time to narrate what happens with the conflicts that resolve.

Let's say you have a conflict with 1:2 where the 2 is claimed by player B. Player A rolls down the 2 to a 1, player B reacts and rolls 4 and player C tries to lower it but fails. Here player A would start narrating how he beat B, B would narrate how he makes a comeback and C why he can't do anything about the conflict. B and C then take their actions doing something else. Before people start claiming things again B would need another chance to narrate how the conflict resolves.

Or have you taken this into account and I'm missing something? I really think the strict turn order of Capes would make a forum based game possible, even if you of course would lose some of the politics that take place around the table face-to-face.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Vaxalon

Hm, I think I understand there... yes, there needs to be another phase for narration.
                                     --Vincent Baker