News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Trollbabe] Sales spike

Started by Ron Edwards, April 06, 2005, 11:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

I'm not sure why, but Trollbabe has been selling like hotcakes for about a month. I wonder why? Usually such things happen due to a review at a widely-visited site, or to an advertisement or reference in someone else's game.

Dogs, maybe? It includes some kind & appropriate references to Trollbabe.

Or perhaps one of the extra-Forge discussion venues had a Trollbabe-specific exchange?

Best,
Ron

Larry L.

I broke down and bought, seeing as the alleged print version may be a while.
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=14549

I'm only one customer though.

Brennan Taylor

I'd love to see a print edition of this sometime. For some reason, I never get around to playing the PDF games I buy. Something about a book sitting on the shelf motivates me to run a game.

Rausch

Hi Ron,
I'm a part of that sales surge. Like Larry, it was the recent discussion of a print version that prompted me do it. I'd been holding out for one, thinking I wouldn't feel the value of my money spent on a pdf. But seeing a print version will be a long while off if it happens at all, I broke down. It seems odd to me now that I waited. Having only given it a cursory read, the $10 already seems well spent.

If you do go ahead with a print version (and I've gotten some good use out of the game by then) it's likely I'll be part of that sales surge too.
Thanks,
Jesse

Rob MacDougall

I'm in a multi-session game of Trollbabe that's started up recently and we've talked it up a little at 20x20 Room and some of its affiliated LiveJournals. I doubt we have true hotcake power, though. I think it's also getting namedropped at Vincent's blog. Vincent's blog plus Dogs could well be the vector.

It's also just a great game, mind you. That's gotta count for something.

lumpley

Well don't look at me. Dogs' sales are spiking too. I mean, I suppose maybe Dogs' spike is leading Trollbabe's, but even if so that wouldn't explain the spike in general.

I wonder how broad it is. Anybody else?

-Vincent

Andrew Norris

I'm a data point. I bought a copy last month, because I couldn't find the copy I'd gotten a year ago, and I somehow had multiple Forge Bookshelf accounts.  (I just like giving Ron money, I guess -- I lose Sorcerer supplements every time I move).

I picked up a copy to run one-on-one with my fiancee. Now that I think about it, seeing it mentioned in the back of Dogs might have been what brought the idea into my head.

Keith Senkowski

Ron,

I was looking for something to run with my wife since she doesn't reallly play much anymore (and niether do I for that matter) and was reminded by Dogs.  I figured it was about time I buy a copy since it will be perfect for us.  However, I doubt it will be Trollbabe, but rather Damphyr (or however you spell it).  Same principle (character is the destabilizing element between two "worlds"), just more to here sensabilities.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

sirogit

I'm another random statistic.

I was thinking "Hmm, you know, I'd really like to nail down the most basic elements to having a cool Nar game. Hey, doesn't Trollbabe have stuff like that?"

I do think that the print discussion and DitV ad played a part in refreshing itself in my mind, though.

MarcoBrucale

Quoteoriginally poted by sirogit:
I was thinking "Hmm, you know, I'd really like to nail down the most basic elements to having a cool Nar game. Hey, doesn't Trollbabe have stuff like that?"

Exactly what I thought, too. Maybe I'm a statistical anomaly (always wanted to be one) but I don't own DitV and I wasn't influenced by the print discussion.

BTW, Trollbabe is 100% pure gold, as all the other material by Ron Edwards I own.

bye
MB
-----------------------------------------------
Marco Brucale

lumpley

Matt Wilson tells me that he is not experiencing a spike. This surprises me; last two times I had a spike, he did too.

Any other publishers?

-Vincent

Eero Tuovinen

Well, Arkkikivi had a spike (we're mostly retail, though). Although if my humongous news-letter a couple of weeks ago didn't cause it, then I'm rather screwed and on the mercy of international markets.

I bought Trollbabe earlier this spring (a couple of months ago), and it was just because I remembered it's existence on an opportune moment. No particular inspiration.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Paul Czege

Matt Wilson tells me that he is not experiencing a spike. This surprises me; last two times I had a spike, he did too.

Any other publishers?

No spike.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Sölvi

The low value of the dollar is probably a contributing factor. I just bought a number of games through IPR because of that. (And the service there was excellent, incidentally).
Sölvi Úlfsson

b_bankhead

Hey has this sales spike also lead to a play spike?  If so would new Trollbabers(?) like to play online with an experienced player and GM?
Lately I play online at the #indierpgs channel on magicstar.net  , where some of the leading lights in indie gaming also hang out.
Got Art? Need Art? Check out
SENTINEL GRAPHICS