News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Interior art -- how important is it?

Started by Andrew Morris, April 12, 2005, 05:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardsandsages

When I was designing Neiyar, I had three main illustrators who got paid $50 each plus copies of the finished product.  For additional incidental illustrations, I bought some pieces from artists at deviantart.com.  And for filler art to break up text, I just used clip art.  So in all I think I spend a little over $200 on art.  Also, everyone got links posted on the website to their personal pages/contact e-mails, as well as that information made available in the back of the book.  They were all very happy with that arrangement.

Just like in any field, there are a lot of struggling young talents looking to build a resume.  Places like deviantart and others are a great way to both save yourself some money and give a young talent a chance to build their portfolio.

And there are other forms of payment that we, as indie presses, can offer.  I've written two letters of reference for two of my illustrators expressing my satisfaction with their work and professionalism.  They've both since told me that those letters have helped them get interviews (and one has two firm job offers and he doesn't know what to do with himself lol).  

I think internal art is important, but not to the point of breaking the bank over it.  In the end, the content of the book is what is going to make it successful, not just the pretty pictures.  Sure, art might get someone to pick the book up off of the shelf, but it's the content that makes them buy it.
http://www.bardsandsages.com

Home of Neiyar: Land of Heaven and the Abyss, RPG and writer resources, fiction, contests, merchandise, and more.

daMoose_Neo

RPGNow has some packages of clip/filler art, Calvin(madelf) has packages of art available fairly reasonably.
Granted, you'll want to avoid pieces that are overused in these scenarios, but for one or two images to help spruce up the book, it could be worth the $10 for the image package.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Luke

Quote from: Bob Goat

Highway fucking robbery Luke.  Highway fucking robbery.  How can you live with your self?

I know it's major low-balling. But this is amateur artwork being incorporate into amateur layouts for sale at hobby conventions.

And I'm not talking about full page pieces for $10 a pop. I'm talking about 2x3 lineart/grayscale thumbnails. Easy stuff. Stuff that only takes a half hour to bang out.

Working with amateur artists fulfills a need on both sides of the coin: they need to be published, and you need to publish some art. The money is practically a formality.

-L

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: daMoose_NeoRPGNow has some packages of clip/filler art, Calvin(madelf) has packages of art available fairly reasonably.
Granted, you'll want to avoid pieces that are overused in these scenarios, but for one or two images to help spruce up the book, it could be worth the $10 for the image package.

Also the Image Portfolio series from Louis J. Porter's Devil's Workshop. They're less than $10 each and the licence included in the PDF allows you to use them for self-published RPGs. I pieced together the cover of the With Great Power... Preview Edition from one of them.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

xiombarg

As a small counter to the whole "no are isn't a big deal" vibe some people are putting out, consider the recent threads about Meatbot Massacre, where they got a spike in ransom revenue when they released examples of the art. And there ain't a lot of art in it -- it's only ten pages long, after all.

I think what it comes down to is that art, a priori, isn't important -- but look and feel is. Art can be part of that, or it can be conveyed entirely with layout and fonts, or some combination of all three.

There is a lot of high quality clip art out there. Depending on your game, you can also get a lot of milage out of stock photos.

There are a LOT of web sites with free art and free photos. I've collected a list of a lot of them in my del.icio.us:

http://del.icio.us/xiombarg/stock

Be sure to check out the links at the bottom, especially -- those are the first ones I found, and they're very good sites. I got pictures of all the NPCs in my Nobilis game by combing Stock.XCHNG...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Domhnall

With regards to physical copies, I believe that good interior art is crucial.  
For the casual "flipper" in the store, internal art is both an expected feature of a "professional" publication and something that catches the attention immediately (increasing the chance that the flipper will hold it for more than 8 seconds).  There are also more critical observers who can see the spirit of one's system emulated in the art, and be attracted to the congruence of art and game description.  
E.G., if heironymous were to release his Seven Leagues with the art on his .pdf, it would convey a strong message that corresponds with his system's intention.  Great Ork Gods is another example where the art tells you what kind of game you're getting into.  So, "generic" art is insufficient I think.  I think if you just grab whatever art is cheap and fits in corners  of your text (only roughly approximating your system's idea) that some will be dissuaded from your system.  But, I pay heavy attention to art, and so maybe I'm speaking of the minority.
--Daniel

daMoose_Neo

Balance is always crucial.
Many will never know it, but my card game Final Twilight uses a few (3 I believe) pieces of clip/stock art, and no one notices. My freebies on the site all consist of stock shots of cities. And I'm complimented on the artwork that adorns the cards regularly.
For my Imp Game, I'm doing something kind of similar. I'm doing some sketches, madelf is inking them, and those will be entirely unique to the game. Meanwhile, I've scratched up a couple of amusing but befitting pieces of clip art, madelf is working up some new pieces that will be available in one of his clip art collections, and its all coming together.

So, 100% clipart? Not the greatest of ideas. Meatbot I don't think could have been done the same w/ clip art, as an example. But, liberal use while making sure you have enough to capture the spirt and use the clip to support it? Can go a long way on a shorter budget.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

paulkdad

Hi all. I just thought I'd chime in, because I just pitched a proposal to Andrew that he seemed to like. So, hopefully he'll get some art that fits the style of one of his games, and I'll have some fun doing it... gratis, of course.

Why gratis? It's simple. As everyone here has pointed out here numerous times, the market can't bear artists (or writers, for that matter) to be paid what they're worth. But regardless of the amount of money involved, money changes everything. In my experience, the amount of money involved in a commission is directly proportional to the chance that the person you're working for is going to be an a@@hole (no offense intended to anyone here, as I've never worked for any of you).

I look at it like this: When I donate my art to a project, I get a lot of creative control, I have very little pressure, and I get to work with nice people like Andrew. I also get to keep the pieces, which I know I'm going to like because I'm doing something I love. But any job I do for someone else also challenges me and stretches me conceptually to do some things I might not otherwise do. Also, Andrew gets some artwork he couldn't really afford, and hopefully he likes the look of his publication in the end. Everyone's happy... win/win.

And while I've done a lot of it in the past, now that I'm past 40 I have to say: Life is too short to waste it associating with a@@holes. I'd rather be happy with what I'm doing than be paid an itsy bitsy amount of money. I'm one of those people who has been cursed with the compulsion to make images. I draw every day of my life for free. The only way this job is different is that these images help someone out. I kinda like that. It's the same kind of thing The Forge has been doing for the indie RPG community for years.

BTW, Ron, I also like your "I give you $100; you give me something worth $100" practice. That's pretty close to barter, which is something I'd suggest to anyone interested in hiring someone for their skills. Let's say you're a writer. I can't think of ANYONE who doesn't need a writer's skills on a fairly regular basis. Need some artwork? Barter a resume and cover letter (for example)... or a fantastic written reference (as mentioned above). In fact, I prefer barter because it trades time for time and talent for talent. It's truly equitable. An artist is giving you so many hours of his/her life, and you give some of your life back.
Paul K.

MatrixGamer

One argument for interior art is the clearance shelf at your local game store. These are the games that failed to grab an audience. Once they drop to 50% the store owner is selling them at cost. Once they are below that they just want to get rid of the thing to make room for something people want.

These sad clearance casualties are not routinely badly made. Some are great - interior art, glossy color sometimes even hardback cover - but when you look at them you soon find yourself glancing away. Maybe it's the subject, maybe the lack of art, maybe the poor production qualities, or turgid writing, all that is important here is that the book fails to attract. As it says in the Quran "There are lessons in this for those who will see."

It is easy to say stores and distributors are irrelevant - that may be true - but the test in the market place of ideas is your games ability to secure player's time. If they don't give it - then what have you got? A pile of paper.

You don't need to be a great artist to create compelling layout. The use of lines, squares, shading, open spaces and text can do it without pictures. Clip art should not be overlooked. Dover Press has put out clip art books/CDs for years. Why not let the old dead white guys help you out. I'm certain they won't mind.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net

anthony kilburn

The way I see it, if you're at a book store checking out games, art is the most critical factor.  You're flipping through, trying to glean a sense of what the game's about without reading the novella of flavor text at the beginning.  The art sets the tone of the setting that I don't really see layout and font doing.  I'm sure there're exceptions, but I would be surprised to find them.

Gamers that shop online want art too, but they're probably more willing to look at the text.  After all, most of the internet is text, so it's second nature to online gamers.

I personally feel that art—but not any art, only good art—is the most important part of the look of the game, which is probably common sense.  I know that my game will have gobs and gobs of art, no matter if I have to take out loans to pay for it and make no money from it.  I think it's essential for truly innovative and/or unique worlds, as pages of descriptions can only go so far to paint the picture without getting weighty.

komradebob

QuoteI think it's essential for truly innovative and/or unique worlds, as pages of descriptions can only go so far to paint the picture without getting weighty.

I agree. I wouldn't have bought either Skyrealms of Jorune or the new Tekumel if I hadn't seen art for those games. Honestly, I still think the art for those games is the best part of those games...
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

Andrew Morris

K and Bob-

What do you think about something like Dogs in the Vineyard, then? It's selling well, and people are having lots of fun playing it. It has no interior art at all, except for the little tree end-of-chapter icons. The cover art is distinctive and memorable, though.

Also, I think a game like Universalis would be exactly as accessible without any illustration. This isn't a knock on the art, but Uni doesn't really need illustrations to help convey understanding, and it doesn't really have a specific "flavor" to convey, since you create that every time you sit down to play it.

With that said, Paul has shown me some sketches that really made me go, "wow, that's what I wasn't conveying with the text, the emotional impact." So, the game that I thought might be able to stand without interior art, actually will have art in the final analysis. I think it will work better that way, with the text saying, "this is how you play," and the art saying, "this is what it feels like."

So, my basic point here is that I think there are some games where the text can stand on its own without interior art (or even be improved by its removal). Also, telling which is which is probably difficult to impossible to accomplish beforehand.
Download: Unistat

MatrixGamer

Quote from: killacozzyI personally feel that art—but not any art, only good art—is the most important part of the look of the game, which is probably common sense.

If it isn't Scottish it crap...

I know I've gotten negative feedback about using clip art. I'm interested to see what I get with the latest upgrades - old pictures. Next I think I'll go to art student line art. If you're in a college town this source is probably available. The draw back with students is that they are amatuers (not to say their art is bad) so they don't always understand deadlines or any business aspects. Also students are constantly cycling through so the artist you recruit today will likely be gone in two years.

We who don't have good drawing ability shouldn't slit our wrists or take out second morgages. As I said above - some of the books on the clearance table had good art in it. Art helps when it is effective at communicating the message - and that is often discovered by trial and error. Which is why I like POD and Home Printing - the ability to make changes is ever present.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
Chris Engle

komradebob

Andrew:
I actually just checked out DiTV's cover art at the site and agree that it is an awfully nice cover. I don't know anything else really about the game, so I can't really answer that part of your question.

As for Universalis (a game I particularly love), I've often wondered about what art would really do it justice. I like the piece that won the art contest at the Uni site, and I think it would make a good new cover if/when there is a new edition printed. Uni is a very strange case, in that it has a fanbase that seems to be coming primarily out of people with a background in rpgs, but has a lot of potential to appeal to people that don't have that background. Ithink the current artwork appeals/ is familiar to the first group. I'm not so sure about the appeal to the theoretical second group. I'm definitely not sure what sort of art would appeal to that hypothetical group, either.

I'll give a non-rpg example that I agree with. I recently read someone's ( I think Costickyan's) comments on the game Axis&Allies, comparing an earlier paper version to the more commonly available Milton Bradley "toy soldiers" version. His point was that while both games were essentially the same in terms of rules, the toy version just plain has a different sort of (and greater) appeal.

As for what games benefit, like I mentioned, Tekumel and Jorune both really benefit from the art. I would consider buying a product for either of these lines without game mechanics, but more art. The oWoD Vampire game and splats definitely benefitted freom the Tim Bradstreet art.

So, if I was to guess what games benefit from art most, I would say setting heavy ones. DiTV seems to be more situation heavy, and parallels real world settings closely, so maybe art isn't really that necessary. oWoD Vampire was set in "the real world" but the Bradstreet art really focussed on the goth-punk aspect, and tied in really well to the overall feel of the game. SoJ and T:EPT are setting heavy, and the art really lets you know that you are in some world other than a psuedo-european fantasy setting.

My thoughts anyway,
cheers,
Robert
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

MatrixGamer

If you are going to use art I've found pictures of people - and people in action - especially if you can see their eye (the gateway to the soul) are eye catching. Still lifes, and landscapes are much less compelling.

Chris Engle
Hamster Press
Chris Engle