News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Streamlining Bring Down the Pain for IRC?

Started by Vaxalon, May 09, 2005, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

I had a conflict running for two fairly inept combatants.  They both could muster +2's at best, for the situation at hand.  It was going slooooow.

Is it supposed to take a dozen rounds for BDtP to resolve?

We were getting some SERIOUS whiff factor going on.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

James_Nostack

Confession of vested interests: I was a participant in said Pain-Bringin'.  And yeah, I sucked big time.  Stupid dice!

There are some optional rules here.

Another trick might be to double all damage, or throw people some improvised, this-time-only "metaphorical weapons" to represent emotional commitment.  It's a kludge, but it might work.

Incidentally, if there was "whiffage" it's my own fault for brain-farting: I narrated poorly.  The particular skill might go just fine--it simply fails to accomplish the intention.  So, a swordsman might manage to skewer several enemies, but not accomplish his goal of saving the princess.  Hence, flubbing a skill roll doesn't mean you're incompetent, it just means you weren't able to apply that performance toward your real objective.

(Vax, I'm sure you know that much, but I'm just stating it again for any newcomers who find the thread later.)
--Stack

Clinton R. Nixon

BDTP is serious business. It should only happen rarely, like extended contests in HQ.

I know, with beginning characters it's slow. I'm old school that way.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Vaxalon

After last night's experience, it WILL be rare.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker