News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Indy GenCon '05] Too slow chicken marango!

Started by Eric Provost, July 03, 2005, 08:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Provost

Too slow for this cat!

Okies.  Lisa and I just got back from Origins and we're looking to jump right onto planning for GenCon.  Apparenlty planning for one after the other means that we're too damned slow.

I downloaded the Excel formated event listing, and pretty much every single indie game I'm interested in is already filled up.  If it's not filled up, then there are few seats available and I'm not sure we'll make it to payday before it does fill.

Soooo.... besides general griping that could better be logged onto my blog, my question here is this;

As far as anyone knows, is the event listing pretty well secure, or can one hold out any reasonalbe hope that there will be others prepared to run some indie games at a specified time and place?  

Also...

Are there a sufficient number of other out there that were too slow like myself that would like to set a date & time at the Con for some indie gaming?  A little co-op gaming would be great.  I'd be pleased as punch to exercise my DitV GMing skills on fellow Forgites From Other Lands.  I'd also love to try a little event I'd like to call "Things I've recently learned about gaming as applied to games that I used to love but now realize totally suck."  Where, as the GM, I bring a system that dosen't get too much in the way and lots o' color, and you, the players get to bring a bucket of protagonism.

I'm gonna be back on later tonight or maybe tomorrow with some... er... lots... er...  a heaping basket of actual play information from a tasty 3.5-day trip to Ohio.  But right now I need to go burn some chicken on the grill.  

-Eric

Matt Gwinn

I am seriously looking for some pick-up indie games throughout the con.  I'm obligated to work the booth at least 4 hours a day, but that still leaves plenty of time for a game a day.  Sneaking in one after hours game a night simply isn't enough... there are just too many games to pick from to play just 1 game a day.

I'd love to play some DitV

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Allan

I've got nothing scheduled outside of my booth shifts, so I'm all over some indie pickups.  I'd love to play some of these games and play styles I've been reading so much about, and DitV is high on that list.  

I'm also all over running Sweet Dreams for anyone who's interested, although I suspect it's the sort of high point of contact deep sim dinosaur that a lot of Forgites are here specifically to escape.

Anyway, your things I've learned.... event sounds great.  Count me in.
Sweet Dreams - Romance, Espionage, and Horror in High School
The Big Night - children's game with puppets

In Progress:  Fingerprints
Playing:  PTA, Shock

Thor Olavsrud

I too have not scheduled any games outside of booth shifts, so I'll be looking for pick-up games too. I especially want to play some more HeroQuest/QuestWorlds with Mike Holmes.

Judd

I'm running two pick-up games linked in my sig.

I have not worked out the times they will be played but hope to do that in the next 48 hours.

Eric J. Boyd

Same thing happened to me Eric, which prompted me to bother Paka until he agreed to run an extra session or two. This will be my first Gen Con, and I'm eager to squeeze as much indie gaming goodness as possible into the experience.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to think up a game of my own to run on the fly--perhaps a noir-inspired amalgam of octaNe and Inspectres . . .

Cheers,

Another Eric

Eric Provost

Right on.  Glad to see there's so many that are still looking for some indy gaming.

The Dictionary of Mu game sounds interesting.  I'd like to throw mine and my wife's name in for it if there's still room.

I'd still like to run a 4-player DitV game and a 6-player What I Learned game.  So, if there's anyone else interested, let me know.  We'll get together by PM and figure out the best time for gaming.  I'm thinking 2-3 hours per game and holding each on different days.

-Eric

Blankshield

I'd love to get in some pickup gaming, but realistically, my schedule is packed.  I'm probably only barely going to be at the Forge booth.  If I do run or play in any pickups, it will be at the last minute.

That being said, I'd love to see what a different bunch of Dogs makes of some of my towns.  So if you pester me enough, you could probably make me run Dogs. :)

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Technocrat13pretty much every single indie game I'm interested in is already filled up.
Man, you're not kidding. I finally decide to go to GenCon for the first time, and everything's already filled. Well, since my plans have already been made, I'll be going, so I'm up for this.
Download: Unistat

Malcolm Craig

As posted on another thread, I'm up for running a game or two of a|state if anyone is at all interested. I'll try to keep my Scottish accent to a minimum whilst doing so!

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Eric Provost

Let us know ASAP when your A|State game will be.  You've got two players ready to sign up to play.

-Eric (and Lisa)

Andrew Morris

I'd be interested in that game as well.
Download: Unistat

Malcolm Craig

Quote from: Technocrat13Let us know ASAP when your A|State game will be.  You've got two players ready to sign up to play.

-Eric (and Lisa)

Quote from: Andrew MorrisI'd be interested in that game as well.

Wow. Thanks for the interest. I'll need to make this a good one. For running at the booth, I'm going to have a half hour demo of a|state but for longer games I'll have something that should fit into about 3 hours. Would a few hours one evening be suitable for you guys or would another time be preferable?

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Eric Provost

Evenings are gonna be precious like gold, Malcom.  So, we're gonna need you to sell us your game.  Tell us it's worth an evening.  I've checked out your website and all I can glean is the setting.  Give us some hint as to what the game's really like and we can tell you if we're willing to risk an evening on it.

-Eric & Lisa

Eric Provost

Oh!  NM!  We found your 'lite' version.  We'll check it out and let you know if an evening is kewl.

-Eric & Lisa