News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Thoughts on the website

Started by Ron Edwards, April 23, 2001, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

If you've visited the Elfs site, you know it's pretty skimpy. That's on purpose - Elfs is meant to be a fast & dirty internet experience, as opposed to the Sorcerer site, which is supposed to be more of an exploration through all manner of surprising information and activities.

However, I was thinkin' about some of the stuff that might go onto the Elfs site eventually. Links, certainly, to reviews (should there be any); perhaps a couple of links to artists' pages like Vaughn Bode and Phil Foglio; and maybe some sort of "examples" page or something that illustrates the dice in action ...

Any ideas? Again, I'm planning to keep the very minimal design, but suggestions for ONE or TWO little additions would be welcome.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

The who designed it?  Eeeeccch.

:smile:

Seriously, I would definitely do it differently next time.  For one thing, more pics!  They sell the game...hands down.  I mean, the system is BRILLIANT and the writing is funny but the art is more (uh) visual and immediate.  So yeah, bigger gallery -- at least 6 images.

Damn.  It's hard to design for standard 800 x 600 websites...especially if you're used to 19"+ monitors and mondo screen real estate...
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Jared,

I'm not really worried about sales right now - they're very high. So I'm not asking, "Gee, how can we make the website better." I *like* it as is. There are plenty of pix and they do their job.

What I am asking is more about ONE thing for a visitor to DO. It would be kind of fun to get an Elfs "membership," or a place to post demonstration ideas, or maybe a place for fan art ...

No contests, though - I hate'em.

Ideas?

Best,
Ron

Jason L Blair

I think it'd be sweet to have the pages infested with elfs. Really bring across how much of a nuisance they can be. Maybe have a page (simple HTML form) where people can "unload" their peskiest elfs so that you have to take care of them. Basically just fill them out on your page as you would a standard character and then compile them (by hand or set up a script or whatnot) into a database on your site. Put up a page that listed them, so people could click on the names and find out more. You could even set it up so people could submit pics of the elfs they're unloading.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Jared A. Sorensen

Eeeek!  I'm having wicked flashbacks of our Babyz and Petz online adoption sites.

BTW...Elfs character sheets.  I didn't see one in the text.  Am I blind or is there not one?

If there isn't, I suggest plenty of space for a drawing of your character -- OR a faint outline of a generic male or female elf that the player can draw over and customize... :smile:
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Jared,

I decided to go with a downloadable character sheet, so that's certainly an add-on to see soon. Another notion is a map of Nurth, very much in the fill-in, Orkworld style.

Best,
Ron

archangel_2

Well, I haven't finished reading the file yet (I know, I know - it's ONLY 55 pages, but I've been busy! lol), but I'd first like to say that I've been highly impressed with what I've seen thus far, and am planning on harassing my gaming group into playing it this weekend, if I can.

As for the website, I WOULD like to see a character sheet (more on that in the other thread), and a map of Nurth would be really cool. Personally, I LOVE the idea of a fan art/story section. Allow the fans to send you a humorous story that happened in a game, or to send in a pic of their character or a situation their character was in.

You only wanted two more pages, though, right? So I'd recommend a download page (with the character sheet and the map of Nurth), and a fan page (described previously).

Anyway, that's my $0.01 worth (it wasn't much, so it's not worth 2 cents, after all!)

Daniel Worthington

GreatWolf

Just another twisted thought, in light of the fact that Elfs is intended partly to poke traditional fantasy RPGs in the eye....

What about a tongue-in-cheek metaplot?  Either you can develop it in your copious spare time (he said ironically) or you could throw it open to fan submissions.  Contradictory material is okay, of course.  After all, how many games actually have completely consistent metaplots?  :smile:

Personally I want to know if the New Age Celts were the ones who destroyed the Elf homelands.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Ron Edwards

Good idea, Seth! And you're elected.

I'm not kidding; give me a funny bogus metaplot that really satirizes real ones, especially anything associated with AD&D without actually violating copyright ...

And it goes up on the webpage, with a link to Darkomen.

Dan,
Many thanks for the kind words and the comments. I think the player-anecdotes and art are an excellent idea, and anything that arises (cough!) during your session this weekend would be appreciated.

Best,
Ron

[ This Message was edited by: Ron Edwards on 2001-04-27 10:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Ron Edwards on 2001-04-27 10:31 ]

xiombarg

It's easier to spoof White Wolf or Pinnacle than D&D when it comes to metaplot, if you asked me. The Changeling metaplot with High King David that came to a screeching halt when Changeling production slowed down begs for parody, if you asked me.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Ron Edwards

Well, Xiom ol' buddy, that means you are eminently qualified to PRODUCE such a metaplot parody, to whatever extent you'd like, and it might find itself (properly credited) on the website, eh?

Best,
Ron

xiombarg

Give me some time to buy and play Elfs first. I only have so much money and I already bought a lot of Sorcerer stuff recently. ;-)
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT