News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Scanning line art

Started by Tony Irwin, November 13, 2005, 11:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua A.C. Newman

Jake, you'll wind up with fuzzier edges than you want that way.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Emily Care

I think that when Joshua said "blown up" he meant when you look at them on the screen.

But I'm really just posting to say how excited I am that Shouju Story is being printed.  yay!

--Emily
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Jake Richmond

Yeah, how soon will that be available?

Tony Irwin

Quote from: Emily Care on November 16, 2005, 01:12:03 PMBut I'm really just posting to say how excited I am that Shouju Story is being printed.  yay!

--Emily

Quote from: JakeYeah, how soon will that be available?

Thanks folks, I'm really just hoping to have nice copies available for when I'm teaching it to friends. It's simple, short (just over 80 pages), and self-illustrated (by which I mean I tried very hard to do some good pictures for it). I'll be selling it for $10 on Lulu at the very start of the new year.

Tony

Jake Richmond

Quote from: glyphmonkey on November 16, 2005, 12:12:07 PM
Jake, you'll wind up with fuzzier edges than you want that way.

I havent had a problem so far, but after reading this topic I'm revising my scanning process.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: Tony Irwin on November 17, 2005, 07:44:31 AMI'll be selling it for $10 on Lulu at the very start of the new year.

You're the mod of me, so tell me if this is off-topic, but...

why so frickin' cheap? Why not finish the game, make it sing, and sell it for a respectable amount? Under the Bed sells for $16. I bet it's not a worse game than Under the Bed.

Tony Irwin

Aren't you the guy that designed that Mountain Witch book I've been reading though? Boy did you make that sing! I'm not sure I can do the same with Shoujo Story though.

Also its a 40 minute game, I'm having great fun playing it but I don't want to exaggerate the content by sticking a high price on it.

Tony

Joshua A.C. Newman

I am that guy! Thanks!

There's an ulterior motive here, for me, by the way: I don't want people ever, ever thinking that Forge games are cheap. They're innovative, well-designed games. And instead of buying empty splatbooks, you buy a new game that does something new — and, likely, what you want — instead.

One way to do that is to charge more than people think they should cost. $10 is a pretty obvious price point. People will compare it to other things that cost $10.

$11 or $12, though? Nothing costs that amount, and people will buy it because it costs what it costs, and it's what they want.

At the very least, you won't lose any sales by increasing the price by $1. I'd bet that you could increase it 3 and you'd get the same number of sales with a 30% higher take.

Ron Edwards

Sigh ...

Yup, that's a threadjack, I think.

The topic of scanning line art has been discussed well, I think. So it's time to call this thread closed.

Best,
Ron