News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My new game.

Started by Starblade, December 29, 2005, 12:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneofthesedays

I like that idea.  Sounds really cool.

Starblade

Quote from: oneofthesedays on January 11, 2006, 05:45:36 PM
I like that idea.  Sounds really cool.
What part do you like best? Do you have any suggestions?

Also, I have a new resolution system:

Basically it would be a version of task resolution that works as quickly as conflict resolution. Basically, you can combine dice rolls. Say you wanted to run away from a pursuer, and he was on horseback. He wants to shoot three arrows. There's the possibility that none hit, the possibility that the first one hits, the possibility that the second one hits, the possibility the third one hits, and then there's the possibility that multiple arrows hit. First and second, second and third, first and third, and first second and third. Say each one has a 1/3 probability of hitting you. There's an 8/27 chance none of them hit, 12/27 chance one of them hits, 6/27 chance two of them hit, and a 1/27 chance three of them hit. This works best if you have a random number generator.

The problem: It may take as much time setting up the augmented dice rolls as it does to simply roll them. If anybody wants to suggest an easier way to do the quickroll, one that pays attention to detail but does not overly complicate things, let me know. Or if they have another suggestion for a non-task non-conflict resolution system, let me know. I plan on making mine distinct from both of them, while having elements of both, so it's called augmented resolution, or AR for short. I could probably make a version that doesn't involve as much mathematics or thinking about how to combine possibilities, but I'd like your feedback first.

What do you all think?

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteI'm not sure at this point, but to judge from my current mindframe, it's all pretty much balanced. I haven't lingered on any particular topic too long, but the closest I'm probably going to get is the whole ebb/flow thing.

-I'd say yeah.  Or if it isn't yet where you've put the most thought, it needs to be.  This is one of the most dynamic parts of your game.

QuoteThat would be the ebb/flow, the facilities, and the triple battle mechanic (War/Combat/Duel). The names are pretty apt, though I'm hoping to make them more apt. If you'd like to comment on any of those things here, I suggest you do so. The ebb/flow we've talked about, but since it's going to receive more attention (at least for now) we might as well talk about it here too. It's part of the magic aspect of the game. The facilities, which are the gates and the other things I mentioned, are part of the the science fiction aspect of the game.

-That's a good answer.  Though I'd also say that what interested *me* was the Emotions/Attempting the Nearly Impossible gives you a bonus chance and greater consiquences if you fail thing.  That's what would be really fun for the players to use.

QuoteWhile the basic settings, which will definately be more typical than the advanced campaign settings, dubbed Gaterunners, won't include it all, like it will be historical and set hundreds of years before the Gaterunners, it will still be quite new, particularly since the part I will be focusing on will be the triple battle mechanic. The ebb and flow will exist, but will be a mystery, and the facilities will be nonfuntional, but that won't detract from the game. The advanced campaign settings, will take you to a six worlds and a space station where magic and science are blended smoothly

-I'm not sure how you're using the word "setting" in this paragraph.  Are you meaning "worlds" or are you meaning Setting with a big "S"?  As in, are you going to include multiple self-contained Setting in your game to go with your one System?  Or am I just totally missing you here?  Argh, let me just make it simple hehe.  What did you mean by "setting" when you wrote that?

QuoteI guess I did go a bit overboard. I also hope I answered your questions correctly

-Nah, you didn't go overboard.  That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.  My friend Vincent always says "use more words" when I try to describe something to him.  So you're doing just fine.

QuoteThe problem: It may take as much time setting up the augmented dice rolls as it does to simply roll them. If anybody wants to suggest an easier way to do the quickroll, one that pays attention to detail but does not overly complicate things, let me know. Or if they have another suggestion for a non-task non-conflict resolution system, let me know. I plan on making mine distinct from both of them, while having elements of both, so it's called augmented resolution, or AR for short. I could probably make a version that doesn't involve as much mathematics or thinking about how to combine possibilities, but I'd like your feedback first.

What do you all think?

-My advice is to playtest, playtest, playtest.  Thinking about how a thing *might* work is all well and good, but until you play with it you'll never know.  And when I say playtest, I don't mean just once.  I mean multiple times with different people.

Peace,

-Troy

Starblade

Quote from: Troy_Costisick on January 12, 2006, 08:44:00 AM
Heya,

Hiyas.

QuoteI'm not sure at this point, but to judge from my current mindframe, it's all pretty much balanced. I haven't lingered on any particular topic too long, but the closest I'm probably going to get is the whole ebb/flow thing.

-I'd say yeah.  Or if it isn't yet where you've put the most thought, it needs to be.  This is one of the most dynamic parts of your game.

Yeah. As magic is going to be a big part of the game, and ebb/flow represent how mana works, I can definately see how this is going to be one of the most dynamic parts of the game. The ebb/flow might not even be stationary.

QuoteThat would be the ebb/flow, the facilities, and the triple battle mechanic (War/Combat/Duel). The names are pretty apt, though I'm hoping to make them more apt. If you'd like to comment on any of those things here, I suggest you do so. The ebb/flow we've talked about, but since it's going to receive more attention (at least for now) we might as well talk about it here too. It's part of the magic aspect of the game. The facilities, which are the gates and the other things I mentioned, are part of the the science fiction aspect of the game.

-That's a good answer.  Though I'd also say that what interested *me* was the Emotions/Attempting the Nearly Impossible gives you a bonus chance and greater consiquences if you fail thing.  That's what would be really fun for the players to use.

You've got a good point there. Emotions and how they relate to success/failure vs likelyness of success/failure are going to be fun, and also emotions relate to other things in the game, such as morale/discipline, social situations, and the whole Mystery part of the game, that will hopefully be RIFE with emotions. Assuming I'm using the word 'rife' correctly. :P

QuoteWhile the basic settings, which will definately be more typical than the advanced campaign settings, dubbed Gaterunners, won't include it all, like it will be historical and set hundreds of years before the Gaterunners, it will still be quite new, particularly since the part I will be focusing on will be the triple battle mechanic. The ebb and flow will exist, but will be a mystery, and the facilities will be nonfuntional, but that won't detract from the game. The advanced campaign settings, will take you to a six worlds and a space station where magic and science are blended smoothly

-I'm not sure how you're using the word "setting" in this paragraph.  Are you meaning "worlds" or are you meaning Setting with a big "S"?  As in, are you going to include multiple self-contained Setting in your game to go with your one System?  Or am I just totally missing you here?  Argh, let me just make it simple hehe.  What did you mean by "setting" when you wrote that?

By setting I mean what worlds to which you have access and what's going on in the world at that time. Everything else pretty much remains the same, unless I'm forgetting something. Something big, probably.

QuoteI guess I did go a bit overboard. I also hope I answered your questions correctly

-Nah, you didn't go overboard.  That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.  My friend Vincent always says "use more words" when I try to describe something to him.  So you're doing just fine.

Thanks.

QuoteThe problem: It may take as much time setting up the augmented dice rolls as it does to simply roll them. If anybody wants to suggest an easier way to do the quickroll, one that pays attention to detail but does not overly complicate things, let me know. Or if they have another suggestion for a non-task non-conflict resolution system, let me know. I plan on making mine distinct from both of them, while having elements of both, so it's called augmented resolution, or AR for short. I could probably make a version that doesn't involve as much mathematics or thinking about how to combine possibilities, but I'd like your feedback first.

What do you all think?

-My advice is to playtest, playtest, playtest.  Thinking about how a thing *might* work is all well and good, but until you play with it you'll never know.  And when I say playtest, I don't mean just once.  I mean multiple times with different people.

Someone suggested calling it stacked rolls. I was also thinking that, if we use the traditional dice set (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, 100) you just use the 100 and try to round. Let's say you roll a 4 sided dice to determine how you round. 1 would mean round all down, 2 would mean round some down, 3 would mean round some up, and 4 would mean round all up. Of course, if we're using a random number generator, we just pick the number of sides on the dice we want. :P

QuotePeace,

-Troy

(...Starblade Riven Darksquall...)

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteThe ebb/flow might not even be stationary.

-Sweet!

QuoteYou've got a good point there. Emotions and how they relate to success/failure vs likelyness of success/failure are going to be fun, and also emotions relate to other things in the game, such as morale/discipline, social situations, and the whole Mystery part of the game, that will hopefully be RIFE with emotions. Assuming I'm using the word 'rife' correctly. :P

-Heh, yes you used it correctly.  I'm glad that you were receptive to that suggestion.  I think it will make a difference for your game.

QuoteBy setting I mean what worlds to which you have access and what's going on in the world at that time. Everything else pretty much remains the same, unless I'm forgetting something. Something big, probably.

-Good, we're on the same page.  I was worried there for a minute.  This all looks good.

-I have a couple more questions for you about your goals for your game.  This isn't so much about mechanics or setting, but what your plans are.

1.) What are your publishing goals for your game?

2.) Who is your target audience?

-I really look forward to your answer to these.  Oh, and btw, I'm going on another trip this weekend so don't expect a reply until Monday.  Good luck to ya! :)

Peace,

-Troy

Starblade

Quote from: Troy_Costisick on January 13, 2006, 08:57:46 AM
Heya,

Hiyas.

QuoteThe ebb/flow might not even be stationary.

-Sweet!

I'm not even sure how I'm going to do it yet. I might have to develop a dynamics of ebb and flow. Like, how it moves through different substances, different elevations, et cetera.

QuoteYou've got a good point there. Emotions and how they relate to success/failure vs likelyness of success/failure are going to be fun, and also emotions relate to other things in the game, such as morale/discipline, social situations, and the whole Mystery part of the game, that will hopefully be RIFE with emotions. Assuming I'm using the word 'rife' correctly. :P

-Heh, yes you used it correctly.  I'm glad that you were receptive to that suggestion.  I think it will make a difference for your game.

That is how I plan on it. I'll have to come up with an emotions list, and how they affect the body and social situations.

QuoteBy setting I mean what worlds to which you have access and what's going on in the world at that time. Everything else pretty much remains the same, unless I'm forgetting something. Something big, probably.

-Good, we're on the same page.  I was worried there for a minute.  This all looks good.

-I have a couple more questions for you about your goals for your game.  This isn't so much about mechanics or setting, but what your plans are.

Alright.

Quote1.) What are your publishing goals for your game?

Well I'm planning on making a notepad file, then a PDF when I learn how. I hope to one day make it into 'regular' publishing with books and all, but that's a high goal and I'm not likely to meet it.

Quote2.) Who is your target audience?

Fans of science fiction fantasy, and fans of antropomorphics. That's pretty much it... for now. :P

Quote-I really look forward to your answer to these.  Oh, and btw, I'm going on another trip this weekend so don't expect a reply until Monday.  Good luck to ya! :)

Peace,

-Troy

Alright. I'll be waiting patiently for your response.

(...Starblade Riven Darksquall...)

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteI'm not even sure how I'm going to do it yet. I might have to develop a dynamics of ebb and flow. Like, how it moves through different substances, different elevations, et cetera.

-Do you really want to tie it to geography or is it more metaphysical and transphysical than that?  It's something to think about.

QuoteWell I'm planning on making a notepad file, then a PDF when I learn how. I hope to one day make it into 'regular' publishing with books and all, but that's a high goal and I'm not likely to meet it.

-That sounds like a great goal.  I use this website: http://pdfonline.com/ when I need to make pdfs for free.  I bet if you make a post in the Publishing forum you'd get some great advice about creating PDFs and getting art and stuff. 

-As I look back through things, I see a game that has come a long way from its initial concept.  I've think you've done a good job of thinking things out and I personally believe you've grown as a designer since your first post.  It's really cool.  So, here's the last piece of advice I have left.  Take all these ideas, get down a coherant playtest version, and invite your friends over to play.  Once you have that done, make a post in Actual Play and see where things go from there.  Can't wait to see it!

Peace,

-Troy

Troy_Costisick

Hey, one more thing.  I also recomend checking out my Blog Socratic Design for additional resources.  It's really aimed at designers like you.

Peace,

-Troy