News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Independent Games Forums

Started by Adam Cerling, January 10, 2006, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Cerling

Using the search function, I found Forge post number 3 inviting people who wanted a forum set up for their indie games to simply ask, and lo, it would be granted.

Is this policy still the case? I'm a year away from publication, but I can't help thinking ahead.
Adam Cerling
In development: Ends and Means -- Live Role-Playing Focused on What Matters Most.

Clinton R. Nixon

I'd say the policy's changed some in the last four-plus years. It's now a process which requires nearly infinite patience on your part and a lot of mental and spiritual tests. Without a game in some publication format (which includes Ye Olde Free Web-Page or whatever), you do not qualify. Once you publish in some format, you bug me. I buy some time by forwarding the e-mail to Ron, who ignores it until you bug me again and I blame it on him and then we talk about it maybe. Then if I'm feeling especially productive, I might set it up, but usually I buy more time by sending you some crazy question like "What text would you like under the forum name?"

This is what happens under the ideal circumstances, and, really, I'm not kidding. You may also be asked at the beginning to send me links to at least 10 threads about your game.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Adam Cerling

Wow. I'm glad I've scheduled a year to prepare. I'll need time to train for a gauntlet like that.

Thank you for the helpful information!
Adam Cerling
In development: Ends and Means -- Live Role-Playing Focused on What Matters Most.

Ron Edwards

I think it's about 25% dealing with our disorganization (which Clinton describes perfectly) and 75% benefiting from the hard lessons of the past.

1. It is apparently a really bad idea to start one's forum before having an actual game available.

2. It is also really a bad idea to start it unless a number of threads already which demonstrate enthusiasm by at least some of the other folks who want to post. They don't have to be Forge threads, but those help too.

3. Aannnndd ... then there's the gut-feeling which Clinton and I have learned to trust, which is partly totally mysterious to us and partly based on whether we trust the person actually to be active at his own forum.

And even with all that, there is still no guarantee that your forum will be a good promotional center for the game. I think that since we started doing #1-3, though, the success rate improved dramatically.

Best,
Ron